> Home Page > Business and Development > Build a Structure
Print Friendly and PDF Email this page

Build a Structure
Icon - Build a StructureImage - home under constructionAre you constructing a new building or making major renovations such as building an accessory building?

This page includes information about building projects including single-family homes in the RS4 zone, duplexes, multi-family complexes, and industrial, commercial and institutional properties.

If your project involves rezoning or development of a new structure, refer to the Developing a Property page. If your building is in an RS1-RS3 zone, please refer to the information below.

Information on this page:

Subhead - 1 Get Started

A property’s zoning and Official Community Plan (OCP) designation determines what types of development and uses are permitted on the property.

Residential developmentClick PoCoMAP for zoning, OCP designation and other property information.

Does your zoning or OCP designation match your plans?

Subhead - 2 Project Checklist

The table below is a checklist of reviews and permits required for building in Port Coquitlam – see the description to determine which apply to your project. Each linked page includes topic-specific contact information.

Build a Structure

Development Variance Permit – for projects that don't met current requirements of City bylaws
Demolition Permit – for projects requiring building demolition
Building Permit - for construction, alteration, repair or demolition of buildings and structures
Site Services Permit (pdf) – for on-site services such as utility holes, catchbasins, lawn drains, fire hydrants, pump chambers, water meters and others
Plumbing Permit – for installation of plumbing fixtures (e.g. showers, tubs, sinks, water tanks and hose bibs)
Energy Permit – for installation of baseboard radiant heat or in-slab radiant heat
Fire Sprinkler Permit – for installation of fire sprinkler systems as required by bylaw
Fences - For installation of fences
 Farm home plate - for construction on agricultural land
Sign Permit – for installation of exterior signs
Tenant Improvements – for general tenant upgrades to an existing building
Strata Title Conversion – process to allow for subdivision of existing buildings into two or more strata lots
















Contact Information

Click the links in the Project Checklist section above for topic-specific contact information.

For general inquiries, contact:

Planning Division
Tel 604.927.5442
Fax 604.927.5404

Building Division
Tel 604.927.5444
Fax 604.927.5404

Engineering & Public Works
Tel 604.927.5420
Fax 604.927.5407


City Hall Annex (Above the Bank of Montreal)
200-2564 Shaughnessy St
Port Coquitlam BC V3C 3G4

Hours of Business

8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays).

Last Updated:9/1/2016 11:20:55 AM