> Home Page > Business and Development > Develop a Property
Print Friendly and PDF Email this page

Develop a Property

Icon - Develop a Property

Develop - Dominion Triangle townhouses

Are you developing a new project or proposing major changes to an existing building?

This page includes information about development and redevelopment projects, generally involving multiple units or structures. These may include single-family homes in the RS4 zone, duplexes, multi-family complexes, and industrial, commercial and institutional properties.

If your property is in a RS1 to RS3 residential zone, please refer to Build a Structure.

Information on this page:

Subhead - 1 Get Started

Land Use

A property’s zoning and Official Community Plan (OCP) designation determines what types of development and uses are permitted on the property.

Develop - Mixed use buildingClick PoCoMAP for zoning, OCP designation and other property information.

Does your zoning or OCP designation match your plans?

Subhead - 2 Project Checklist

The table below is a checklist of reviews and permits required for property development in Port Coquitlam – see the description to determine which apply to your project. Each linked page includes topic-specific contact information.

Develop - photo strip

Development Processes
Building Permit - for construction, alteration, repair or demolition of buildings and structures
Demolition Permit – for projects requiring building demolition
Development Permit: All zones other than RS4
Development Permit: Small lot development (RS4)
Development Variance Permit – for projects that don't met current requirements of City bylaws
Energy Permit – for installation of baseboard radiant heat or in-slab radiant heat
Fire Sprinkler Permit – for installation of fire sprinkler systems as required by bylaw
Highway Use Permit – required for a variety of types of development and business operations
licenced Establishment Application – to sell or serve liquor
Monitoring Well Permit – to install a monitoring well
Plumbing Permit – for installation of plumbing fixtures (e.g. showers, tubs, sinks, water tanks and hose bibs)
Road Closure Permit – request to close roads or lanes
Sign Permit – for installation of exterior signs
Site Profiles – screens for potentially contaminated sites
Site Services Permit (pdf) – for on-site services such as utility holes, catchbasins, lawn drains, fire hydrants, pump chambers, water meters and others
Soil Removal and Deposit Permit – for removal and deposit of soil or fill on a property
Subdivision – involves land being dividerd into smaller properties
Temporary Use Permit – allowing temporary commercial and industrial uses
Tree Cutting Permit – for removal of more than one tree/year 
Watercourse Development Permit – for projects that may impact a watercourse





Contact Information

Click the links in the Project Checklist section above for topic-specific contact information.

For general inquiries, contact:

Planning Division
Tel 604.927.5442
Fax 604.927.5404

Building Division
Tel 604.927.5444
Fax 604.927.5404

Engineering & Public Works
Tel 604.927.5420
Fax 604.927.5407


City Hall Annex (Above the Bank of Montreal)
200-2564 Shaughnessy St
Port Coquitlam BC V3C 3G4

Hours of Business

8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays).

Last Updated:4/12/2017 10:15:50 AM