The Purchasing Division is responsible for acquiring goods and services and managing the disposal of surplus materials for the City in a responsible, professional and cost-effective manner.
The City of Port Coquitlam maintains a strict purchasing policy coupled with practices recognized by the Supply Chain Management Association of Canada.
Purchasing Policy Principles
The goals and principles of the City’s Purchasing Department are to:
- Procure the necessary quality and quantity of goods and services in an efficient, timely and cost effective manner, while maintaining the controls necessary for a public institution.
- Encourage the most open bidding process practicable for the acquisition and disposal of goods and services;
- Ensure the maximum value of an acquisition is obtained by determining the total cost of performing the intended function over the lifetime of the task. This may include, but not be limited to, acquisition cost, disposal value, disposal cost, training cost, maintenance cost, quality of performance and environmental impact;
- Operate Central Stores for the purchase of goods and services through the most cost effective means having due regard for the quality of the goods and services required;
- Procure goods and services with due regard to our commitment to encourage the use of “environmentally friendly” products and services;
- Follow the guidelines set out in the codes of ethics established by the Purchasing Management Association of Canada.
- Ensure that maximum value is obtained when disposing of surplus goods;
- Subject to all applicable City policies and by-laws, any specific provisions of the Municipal Act, or other relevant legislation.
Purchasing for all departments shall be coordinated through the office of the City Purchasing Manager.
The City Purchasing Manager shall institute forms and procedures as required for proper implementation of purchasing procedures.
The City Purchasing Manager shall cooperate with others local municipal and public organizations in group buying of items in common use whenever practical.
Purchasing for all departments shall be monitored by the Finance Department to ensure that the guiding principles are being followed.
Award of Purchase Orders/Contracts
Awards shall be made for goods and services that will give the greatest value based on quality, specifications, service, price and timely delivery. Preference shall be given to Port Coquitlam suppliers where quality, specifications, service, price and delivery are equivalent.
Location and Mailing Address
1737 Broadway Avenue
Port Coquitlam BC V3C 2M9
Summer hours are in effect through October 10, 2014.
Purchasing is open from 7:00 AM through 3:30 PM,
Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)