Read about the multi-family green cart program!
Port Coquitlam residents who receive waste collection services from the City can put all leftover food scraps and food-soiled papers into their green carts.
That means residents can put meats, dairy, bones, soiled pizza boxes and more into their green carts, in addition to yard trimmings and vegetable and fruit scraps.
|Click on image below to download a PDF of a handy waste-sorting chart and tips for your green cart
Curbside collection of food scraps and food-soiled papers plays an important role in the City’s waste-reduction efforts, which included the introduction of alternate-week garbage pickup in January 2010.
The City launched these waste-reduction initiatives for two key reasons:
- To divert more household waste from the landfill – more than 47% of garbage is compostable organic material. In conjunction with alternate-week garbage pickup, the collection of food scraps and food-soiled papers can keep thousands of tonnes out of the landfill each year.
- To protect taxpayers from rising garbage disposal costs – fees rose 18% in 2011 and are expected to continue to escalate, with no change to green waste costs. In conjunction with alternate-week garbage pickup, the program saved taxpayers $165,000 in 2010.
How do I participate?
The program is open to all households eligible to receive green cart collection from the City. Single-family homes automatically receive green cart collection as part of their City waste collection services. Multi-family complexes can also now sign up for the program – click to learn more.
Simply collect all your food scraps and food-soiled papers and place them in your green cart for year-round collection at the curb.
- Click here for information about getting started.
- Click here for frequently asked questions.
- Click here to download a handy waste-sorting guide and tips for your green cart in PDF format.
- Click here to download a Green Cart Program Brochure.
For more information contact:
Location and Mailing Address
1737 Broadway Street
Port Coquitlam BC V3C 2M9
8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)