The City of Port Coquitlam's Green Cart Program provides year-round curbside collection of yard trimmings, food scraps and food-soiled papers from single-family and multi-family homes and businesses receiving City collection services.
Avoid paying more – sort it right!The City of Port Coquitlam is starting to closely monitor the contents of green carts to prevent a major spike in disposal costs. And like other Metro Vancouver municipalities, the city will stop picking up green carts at properties that continue to put the wrong things in their carts after repeated notices.
In March 2015, the company handling the City's green cart waste found contamination rates of 3-5%, primarily from plastic bags. The City was told that if contamination rates continue to exceed the permitted 0.5%, disposal fees will almost double this year.
Because waste collection services are provided on a user-pay basis, any increases in fees will be paid by taxpayers through increases on their annual tax bill.
What will happen
- When waste truck drivers spot contaminants in a property’s green cart, they will attach a warning notice to the cart that explains what can and can’t go into the cart.
- A letter will be mailed to the property owner if contaminants continue to be found.
- If the problem persists, drivers will stop picking up the green cart until the contaminants are removed.
Help is availableIf you are not sure what goes into your cart, please:
- check out the links on this page
- download the handy Sort it Right 11x17 waste-sorting poster
- see our other online waste-loss resources and information
Collection changes during cold weatherPlease note that when overnight temperatures dip below zero, the City may pick up green carts later in the day than usual to allow the contents to thaw. More details.
For more information, contact:Tel 604.927.5267
Location and Mailing Address
1737 Broadway Street
Port Coquitlam BC V3C 2M9
8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)
[Return to top]