Solid Waste Regulations Protect Residents and Bears
Port Coquitlam's Solid Waste Bylaw requires residents and businesses to secure their garbage and other bear and wildlife attractants. The bylaw places responsibility on individuals for ensuring their property does not attract bears and other wildlife, including coyotes, wolves, cougars, raccoons and skunks. This bylaw applies year-round to all residents and businesses – not just those receiving City pickup.
Understanding the Rules
There are three rules to follow:
- Secure your garbage and green waste -- either by storing your waste containers in your garage or other secure enclosure OR by installing a Bear Aware™ Lock System (such as Critter Guard™)
- Only set out your garbage and green waste carts on collection day -- no earlier than 5:30 am and no later then 7:30 am; if you have a lock system, be sure to unlock it
- Resecure your garbage and green waste - no later than 7:00 pm on collection day
Keep on the parcel at all times the collection carts loaned to the parcel, and shall store such carts to the rear of the front building setback as established under the City’s Zoning Bylaw unless authorized by the Director of Engineering and Operations;
The bylaw requires residents and businesses to secure all wildlife attractants including garbage or kitchen waste.
In addition to garbage and kitchen waste, wildlife attractants include food products, beverage containers, barbecue grills, compost (in piles, not composters), pet food, bird feed, diapers, grease barrels, petroleum products and chemical products.
Other wildlife attractants must be secured as follows
- owners of fruit trees must immediately remove fallen fruit and pick fruit upon ripening,
- beehives, bird feeders and petroleum products (i.e. grease and motor oil) must be inaccessible to wildlife,
- outdoor refrigerators or freezers must be securely locked or inaccessible to wildlife, and
- wildlife attractants may not be put into compost piles.
What do I need to do to make my waste container wildlife-resistant?
Please note that if you are able to store your carts in a garage or other secure enclosure, you do not need to do anything to your waste container.
If you are unable to store your carts in a garage or other secure enclosure, then you must install Aware™ endorsed L:ock System garbage and green waste carts.
Currently, the only Bear Aware™ endorsed locking system device for the City's waste collection carts is Critter Guard™. To have the Critter Guard™ Lock System installed, contact the company directly at 778.789.1854. The cost of this system is $75 which includes installation.
If you receive private collection services and are unable to secure your garbage in a garage or other secure enclosure, you must still secure your garbage in a Bear Aware™ endorsed waste container or use a Bear Aware™ endorsed locking system. Please visit the Bear Aware™ website for more information.
All Bear Sightings Provincial Conservation Officer Service 1-877-952-RAPP (7277)
City Waste Collection Services - 604-927-5488 or 604-927-5496
Critter Guard Installation - 778-789-1854
Solid Waste Infractions / Fines - Bylaw Enforcement - 604.927.5440 or firstname.lastname@example.org
City of Port Coqutilam Bear Information line - 604-927-5446