New statistics show that Port Coquitlam residents who receive City waste collection services sent 28% less garbage to the landfill from
Jan. 14 to Apr. 16, compared to the same period last year.
More than 507 fewer tonnes of waste was sent to the landfill, weighing as much as almost three Boeing 747 jumbo jets (empty 747s weigh about 181 tonnes) or five blue whales (blue whales can weigh over 100 tonnes). The result was a net savings of more than $25,000 in disposal costs, which are billed directly to property owners:
- 507 less tonnes to the landfill x $82/tonne: savings of $41,574
- 62 more tonnes of recycling x $53/tonne: additional cost of $3,286
- 243 more tonnes of yard/kitchen waste x $52/tonne: additional cost of $12,636
- Net savings: $25,652
- Lock it up: secure carts in a wildlife-resistant enclosure or with a City-approved lock
- Set it out: between 5:30-7:30 am on pickup day
For this reason, it is important that residents and businesses follow the City’s Solid Waste Bylaw bear regulations by locking up their garbage and green carts in a wildlife-resistant enclosure (e.g. garage) or with a City-approved lock (e.g. Critter Guard), and only setting out carts at the curb between 5:30-7:30 am on collection day. More information can be found at www.portcoquitlam.ca/bears.
Warm weather waste tips
Minimize odours in your green cart by:
- wrapping food scraps in old newspaper or a used paper towel,
- placing food scraps in a paper bag (e.g. grocery, sugar, flour or kraft paper liner bag),
- placing meat and fish waste in a paper bag and freezing it until collection day,
- alternating layers of food scraps with dry yard waste,
- periodically rinsing out the cart with your hose, mild detergent or vinegar/water solution,
- sprinkling a small amount of garden lime, baking soda or powdered laundry detergent (no bleach) in the cart, and
- allowing grass clippings and leaves to dry before placing them in the cart.
Minimize odours in your garbage cart by:
- bagging diapers and smelly items separately;
- sprinkling baking soda over smelly items and in bags before tying them;
- using heavier-gauge bags (preferably biodegradable) and tightly securing them;
- rinsing meat/fish residue off styrofoam trays or plastic bags before disposing of them;
- making sure all messy/smelly waste is securely bagged before putting it in your cart; and
- regularly rinsing out your cart with your hose, mild detergent or a vinegar/water solution.
Tel 604.927.5496 or 604.927.5488
Emergency After Hours Tel 604.543.6700
Location and Mailing Address
1737 Broadway Street
Port Coquitlam BC V3C 2M9
7:30 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)