Open Air Burning

Open Air Burning is any fire set outside, other than on a small confined grill used to cook food. Campfires, incinerators, burn drums and construction site fires are examples of open air burning.

Is Open Air Burning allowed in the City of Port Coquitlam?
In line with the Metro Vancouver's Air Quality Control,  the City of Port Coquitlam has established an Open Air Burning Bylaw to limit the contribution to air pollution.

In accordance with the City's Fire and Emergency Services Bylaw , Burning Permits will be issued only for outdoor burning, in daylight hours, to burn orchard, berry, and vineyard pruning generated on site on properties zoned A-1 Agricultural.

Burning Permits are NOT issued if the materials to be burned contain materials other than those listed above.

Only properties zoned A-1 Agriculture can be issued Burning Permits for 8 months of the year and for a maximum of fifteen (15) days so no Burning Permits are issued during the months of June, July August or September.

The Fire Protective Services Division will ensure that all permits issued before June 1st of each year will expire on or before May 31st at 8:00 pm.

Can I use  portable outside fireplace in Port Coquitlam?
More and more businesses are advertising the sale of Portable Outside Fireplaces.  The City of Port Coquitlam prohibits the use of this appliance if using wood as fuel. Persons fueling these appliances with wood could be subject to a $500.00 fine.

Residents who purchase a Portable Outdoor Fireplace for the purposes of cooking can fuel only with propane, natural gas or charcoal.  Please refer to City Bylaw No. 3562 for details.

How do you obtain a Burning Permit if you live in the A-1 Agricultural Zone?
You may purchase this permit from the Tax Office on the first floor of City Hall (2580 Shaughnessy Street).  Once you have purchased the permit,  the Fire Department will inspect all materials to be burned prior to approval and issuance of the Burning Permit.  We recommend that all materials to be burned are piled and ready for inspection. 

A  non-refundable, $25.00 fee is charged for the application and inspection of materials to be burned when applying for a Burning Permit within the City of Port Coquitlam.

Burning Permits are issued for a period of fifteen (15) days. Extensions may be granted when inclement weather hampers burning. Permits will not be issued if  the British Columbia Forestry Services Coastal Fire Centre burning ban restrictions are in effect.

For information on the current burning ban restrictions, check out the Ministry of Forests website at

Port Coquitlam Fire and Emergency Services strictly enforces illegal burning. Fines are issued accordingly.

Burning Bans
At certain times of the year and as conditions warrant, the Fire Chief may issue a complete ban on open air burning. When a ban is issued ALL open air burning is prohibited with the exception of actual cooking that is taking place on a grill.

Keep it Safe
Regardless of the type of open air fire you are having, always use caution.

Be a Good Neighbour
While burning, it is your obligation to ensure that smoke does not interfere with the ability of your neighbours to enjoy their properties or conduct their business without disruption. Watch where your smoke travels and do not burn when there are smog alerts, foggy conditions or wind that will carry your smoke in a direction that will disrupt adjacent roadways or properties.

Questions or Concerns
If you have questions regarding open air burning or wish to obtain authorization to conduct open air burning, please contact:

Port Coquitlam Fire and Emergency Services
Tel  604.926.5466
Fax  604.927.5406

Locatiion and Mailing Address
1725 Broadway Street
Port Coquitlam BC 

Business Hours
8:30 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)

Quick Links

[Return to top]

Last Updated:7/8/2014 11:15:38 AM