Watch this video on the City of Port Coquitlam’s Emergency Preparedness FREE community courses for more information as featured on “Go Vancouver". Janella Hamilton reporting.
Port Coquitlam offers free emergency preparedness (EP) courses to help residents prepare to survive on their own for at least 72 hours after a major disaster, such as a power outage, severe storm, flood or earthquake.
Personal preparedness is a key component of the City’s EP program. The more residents can take care of themselves after a major emergency, the more the City’s resources can be directed to restoring services.
Learn four valuable EP skills in one day
There are four topics discussed within a 4-hour single Saturday session. These sessions are provided four times a year. Please see below for further details.
Participates age 16 and up will learn about:
- Personal Preparedness – Learn how to help yourself, your family, your co-workers and your neighbours in those first 72 hours and beyond.
- Rapid Damage Assessment – Identify unsafe conditions in a single-family dwelling to help determine if your home is safe to occupy after an earthquake. Information is provided as general building/safety information; it does not certify you to be qualified to perform post-earthquake damage assessment.
- Basic Fire Suppression – Learn basic fire chemistry and classes of fire, how to use a fire extinguisher, and basic steps for fire response and intervention in the event of water, gas and electrical problems. Includes hands-on extinguisher training.
- Light Urban Search and Rescue – If someone is trapped in a home during a disaster, do you know how to identify if and how you can help? Learn what to do. Includes a hands-on component.
- Saturday, March 1 - Open for registration.
- Saturday, May 24 - Open for registration.
- Saturday, September 20 - Open for registration.
- Saturday, November 22 - Open for registration.
This one-day course covers all four topics:
- Personal Family Preparedness;
- Rapid Damage Assessment;
- Basic Fire Suppression; and
- Basic Light Urban Search and Rescue.
Early registration is recommended as seating is limited. Priority will be given to Port Coquitlam residents.
The sessions include hands-on components, so please dress in comfortable clothing.
For more information on EP training opportunities or to register, contact:
Port Coquitlam Emergency Preparedness Office
Location and Mailing Address
#1 Fire Hall
1725 Broadway Street
Port Coquitlam BC V3C 2A8
8:30 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)
Earthquakes Canada (information provided by the Department of Natural Resources on Earthquakes in Canada)
Provincial Emergency Program (program administered by the Ministry for Public Safety)
[Return to top]