- 2013-12-06 - Practice Fire Safety This Holiday Season(pdf) - Combustible materials such as a tree, decorations and wrapping paper, and heat sources such as lights, extension cords and candles call for additional safety precautions. The Tri-City Fire Departments provide the following tips to help residents stay safe this holiday season.
- 2013-12-04 - Snow is in the Forecast - Are You Ready?(pdf) - An important part of this preparation is creating a plan for keeping snow and ice cleared from city sidewalks. City bylaws require all residential and business occupants to clear the public sidewalks on their property as soon as possible after a snowfall.
- 2013-11-27 - 2014 City Calendar Features Faces of Port Coquitlam(pdf) - The 9”x12” calendar and waste collection guide will be delivered to all single-family homes in the Wednesday Tri-City News in 100% biodegradable bags, and will also be available for free at any City facility, including City Hall and recreation centres.
- 2013-11-27 - Water System Leak Testing Dec. 4 to 20 South of Kingsway(pdf) - The testing is non-intrusive and is not anticipated to affect the water quality or supply in the area. The tester will make every attempt to minimize noise and supply disruptions.
- 2013-11-26 - Centennial Festivities Wrap Up With Holiday Train Dec 16(pdf) - The City of Port Coquitlam, which turned 100 on Mar. 7, will wrap up a year of centennial festivities on Dec. 16 with a free skate at the Port Coquitlam Recreation Complex at 6:15 p.m. followed by the arrival of the CP Rail Holiday Train at the Port Coquitlam West Coast Express Station at 2125 Kingsway Ave. at 7:15 p.m.
- 2013-11-20 - Unique Skating Program For Families Living with Autism (pdf) - The Canucks Autism Network (CAN) expanded its I CAN Skate adapted skating program to Port Coquitlam this fall, offering skating lessons for children and youth with autism from age seven to 15. Basic skating skills – such as moving forward, gliding and stopping – are taught in a safe and supportive environment, with a pace of instruction that suits people living with autism.
- 2013-11-14 - Port Coquitlam Taxpayers Get Sneak Peek at 2014 City Plans(pdf) - The annual business plan presentations are one of the first steps in developing the five-year financial plan that sets out city expenditures, activities and services. Each department’s business plan outlines their proposed services and projects to be included in the 2014 budget.
- 2013-11-13 - Port Coquitlam Approves New Transportation Plan(pdf) - City Council approved the 2013 Master Transportation Plan (MTP) on November 12, following a comprehensive update of the plan that will guide the development of the City’s pedestrian, bicycle, transit and road network over the next 30 to 40 years.
- 2013-11-08 - City of Port Coquitlam's Centennial Tree Carving Project(pdf) - Be a part of a legacy public art project in Port Coquitlam by participating in a community engagement workshop on Thursday, November 14 at 6pm at Leigh Square Community Arts Village. In recognition of Port Coquitlam’s 100th birthday, one of the final public art projects will be the Centennial Tree Carving to be sited inside City Hall’s reception atrium. This indoor, permanent piece of public art will utilize wood from the tree trunk of a 100 year old silver maple tree that was salvaged from a development site on Pitt River Road and Shaughnessy Street.
- 2013-10-30-PSA - Shred IT & Forget It Saturday - And Support Share(pdf) - As part of Crime Prevention Week from Nov. 1 to 7, volunteers with Coquitlam RCMP are hosting a Shred It & Forget It event on Nov. 2, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Burlington Street, Coquitlam (behind the main RCMP detachment).
- 2013-10-29- PSA - Don't Forget to Recyle Your Pumpkin(pdf) - More than 12,000 households in Port Coquitlam can place their pumpkins into their green carts for curbside pickup, along with their other food scraps and yard trimmings. Unwanted unwrapped candy can also be dropped into the green cart rather than the trash.
- 2013-10-28 - PSA - Fireworks Permits Required in Port Coquitlam(pdf)The City of Port Coquitlam has banned the sale of fireworks within city limits, but allows residents to discharge them as long as they obtain a $20 Fireworks Event Permit and follow the fireworks regulations set out in Bylaw # 3562. The regulations are intended to ensure the safe use of fireworks, which can cause serious injuries and property damage.
- 2013-10-18 - Businesses Honoured at New Awards Event in Port Coquitlam (pdf) - Port Coquitlam businesses were in the spotlight Thursday night as more than 100 people gathered for the city’s first PoCo Best Biz Awards Celebration.
- 2013-10-17 - PSA - Major Lions Park Renovation Begins (pdf) - Work has now begun on a major renovation at Lions Park that will include a new washroom, pathway, plaza and playground.
- 2013-10-16 -Waste-Loss Tips Featured on City Collection Trucks (pdf) - In time for Waste Reduction Week Oct. 21-27, Port Coquitlam has started rolling out new graphics for its waste-collection trucks that showcase local resident’s faces and waste-loss tips.
- 2013-09-30 - Prevent Kitchen Fires: Fire Prevention Week (pdf) - Residents are urged to have a working smoke alarm on each floor of their home. Having a working smoke alarm reduces the chances of dying in a fire by more than 30 per cent. Alarms older than 10 years old can be recycled through AlarmRecycle program, available in Port Coquitlam at Biggar Bottle Depot, 2577 Kingsway Ave.
- 2013-09-25 - Help Make History By Submitting Items for 100th Birthday Time Capsule - A wide variety of submissions are welcomed, including art, photographs, writing and small items. The submissions may show why Port Coquitlam is special, or what people in the future should know about Port Coquitlam today.
- 2013-09-24 - PSA - Celebrate Port Coquitlam's Rivers and Trails on Sunday(pdf) - Similar to last year, both Lions Park and Peace Park will offer unique activities focused on celebrating the community’s rivers, trails and natural environment. The festivities will kick off at Lions Park from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., continuing at Peace Park from noon to 4 p.m.
- 2013-09-23 -Press Release - Practical New City Info Guide Available in Port Coquitlam (pdf) - The City of Port Coquitlam has introduced a colourful new City Info Guide, providing practical information about the city’s services presented from the public’s perspective. The Guide replaces the community version of the Annual Report that the City normally produces in June. The 32-page booklet is available for free at City Hall, recreation centres and other City facilities, or can be viewed online or downloaded at www.portcoquitlam.ca/guide.
2013-09-13 - Press Release - New Awards Shine Spotlight on Businesses in Port Coquitlam (pdf) - Both public and self nominations by businesses are being welcomed from Sept. 13 to Oct. 3 for the first-ever PoCo Best Biz Awards, part of the City of Port Coquitlam’s renewed economic development efforts.
2013-09-11 - Experience The City At Work on Septemer 21 (pdf) - These and other experiences – along with interactive displays, demonstrations, prizes, food, entertainment and more – are planned for City at Work, a free City of Port Coquitlam event taking place Saturday Sept. 21, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Operations Centre and Fire Hall No. 1 at 1737 Broadway Street. The celebration of city services is part of Port Coquitlam’s year-long 100th birthday party.
2013-09-09 - Planning Begins for New Downtown Port Coquitlam Recreation Centre (pdf) - Expanded recreation facilities and a variety of civic, residential and other uses will be considered for the area bounded by Wilson Avenue, Kingsway Avenue, Mary Hill Road and the south property line of the former works yard south of Kelly Avenue. The site currently includes two ice arenas, Terry Fox Library, Wilson Centre, parking and residential lots along Mary Hill Road.
- 2013-08-21 Pride of Poco Garden Awards Winners Announced(pdf) - The City of Port Coquitlam and the PoCo GardenClub announce the winners of the seventeenth annual Pride of PoCo GardenAwards.
- 2013-08-16 Homecoming Weekend is Here!(pdf) - Homecoming Weekend, part of the City of Port Coquitlam’s 100th birthday celebrations, will include outdoor music and family festivals with top performers, vintage train rides, free swimming, bowling for charity, and the annual Downtown Car Show.
- 2013-08-13- PSA - Bear Fines Deferred For Those Taking Steps to Comply (pdf) - Port Coquitlam homes and businesses can avoid a $150 fine under the city’s Solid Waste Bylaw by taking steps to comply with the city’s bear regulations.
2013-08-09 - PSA -Youth Invited to Make a Positive Mark in Port Coquitlam(pdf) - People of all ages and abilities will take part in the second annual ParticiPAINT, a community mural project that is a spin-off of the City of Port Coquitlam’s Teens Against Graffiti (TAG) program. The group will meet at the Hyde Away Youth Centre, 1379 Laurier Avenue, on Sunday August 18 at 10:30 am and walk over to the Home Video store on 3274 Coast Meridian.
2013-08-07 - Get Ready for Homecoming Weekend in Port Coquitlam Aug. 16 to 18(pdf) - Homecoming Weekend, part of the City of Port Coquitlam’s 100th birthday celebrations, will include outdoor music and family festivals with top performers, vintage train rides, free swimming, bowling for charity, and the annual Downtown Car Show.
2013-08-01 - PSA - High fire risk in Hyde Creek Nature Reserve (PDF) - The City of Port Coquitlam’s Fire and EmergencyServices Department is advising that due to the abnormally hot and dry weather, the Hyde Creek Nature Reserve is particularly vulnerable to wildfire. The risk is further increased by possible lightning strikes and human activity.
- 2013-07-24 - PSA - Invite Fire Crews to Your Next Block Party (pdf) - Through this free outreach initiative, fire crews drop by Port Coquitlam neighbourhoods to provide safety information on a variety of topics. Introduced in 2005, the program not only improves community safety but gives local adults and children the opportunity to meet and talk to local firefighters and to check out the rescue vehicles and equipment.
- 2013-07-22 - Be the Face of Port Coquitlam (pdf) - Contestants in the Faces of Port Coquitlam contest have until Aug. 18 to submit either a short video or a photo and writeup of what they love about Port Coquitlam. Twelve contestants will be featured in the city calendar and other civic publications, and one will be entered to win a free photo shoot and 8x10 printed portrait sponsored by Tri-City photographer Darla Furlani.
- 2013-07-19 - Bear Enforcement Ramping Up in Port Coquitlam (pdf) - While the same bears may be reported multiple times, the increase in sightings indicates that bears are increasingly being drawn to areas frequented by humans – usually by unsecured garbage carts, unpicked or fallen fruit from trees, and carts set out at the curb the night before collection day. Bears will return again and again to known sources of food.
- 2013-07-17- Ride A Vintage CP Train On Aug. 17 During Homecoming Weekend (pdf) - Organized by the Port Coquitlam Spirit Committee and Port Coquitlam Heritage and Cultural Society, the vintage train rides are part of Port Coquitlam’s Homecoming Weekend celebrations, one of the city’s 100th birthday events. Five trips will leave the West Coast Express station off Kingsway Avenue between 9 a.m. and 2:25 p.m., and heritage society tour guides will provide historical highlights during the scenic 90-minute round-trip journey to Port Moody.
- 2013-07-17 - PSA - One Hour A Week Is All Your Lawn Needs (pdf) - Sprinkling restrictions will be in effect until September 30 in Port Coquitlam and across the Metro Vancouver region, with the goal of reducing peak water use during the summer months.
- 2013-06-27 - Collaboration with Youth Brings New Bus Shelters and Safety Message (pdf) - Three bus shelters have been installed in Port Coquitlam in recent months – including one on Reeve Street near Riverside secondary in April – as the result of a presentation to the city by Riverside students. And as of last week, the new Reeve Street bus shelter features a large ad designed by a Riverside secondary student that sends a strong message that speeding kills.
- 2013-06-26 - Join in the Party of the Century in Port Coquitlam Aug. 16 to 18 (pdf) -
Part of the City of Port Coquitlam’s 100th birthday celebrations this year, the event will include free family activities, outdoor music and family festivals featuring big-name performers such as Trooper and Bobs & LoLo, and the annual Downtown Car Show.
- 2013-06-20 - Cyclists Sought For New City Advisory Group (pdf) - The group, whose mandate is to promote a safe and convenient cycling environment for commuter and recreational cyclists, will advise the Engineering & Operation Department’s Transportation Division.
- 2013-06-19 - Leading-Edge Policy Ensures Future Playgrounds Are Accessible To All (pdf) - City Council adopted a Corporate Accessible Play Spaces Policy on June 10 with the goal of making all future play spaces and equipment safe and accessible for people of all abilities – starting with the playground upgrades at Lions Park later this year.
- 2013-06-12 - Get On The Air At Castle Park June 21-23 (pdf) - Residents are invited to drop by Castle Park on Saturday, June 22 from noon to 4 p.m. to connect with radio operators from around the world and take part in a worldwide amateur radio competition.
- 2013-06-07 - Port Coquitlam 2012 Annual Report Focuses On Building Relationships (pdf) - Entitled Building Relationships, the statutory document features the city’s accomplishments and activities for 2012, its plans for the next two years, audited financial statements and statistics. It will be received by City Council on June 24.
- 2013-05-05 - Live Port Coquitlam Council Meetings Can Be Viewed Online (pdf) - Full council meetings can now be watched live at www.portcoquitlam.ca/councilagendas through a new webstreaming service that was tested at the May 27 Council meeting and is now available for all meetings. Regular Monday night Council meetings will continue to be broadcast on Shaw Community Channel 4 at 9:00 pm on the following Tuesday.
- 2013-06-03 - Special Intake of Cultural Investment Program - Grants Available for Culture Days Acivities in Port Coquitlam. Grant Deadline: June 28. Grant & Cultural Days Information Session on June 20, 2013 at 7pm.
- 2013-05-27 - Have Your Say About Transportation on Wednesday (pdf) - The final round of public feedback is under way for a new Master Transportation Plan that will determine the future of Port Coquitlam’s pedestrian, bicycle, transit and road networks and play a role in how the community grows and develops over the next 10, 20, 30 years and beyond. The public is being asked to comment on the draft final plan that has been in development for more than a year and will be considered by City Council for adoption this fall.
- 2013-05-22 - Nominate Your Favourite Garden Before July 13 Closing Date (pdf) - The Pride of PoCo Garden Awards recognize those who help make the city beautiful, and encourages citizens of Port Coquitlam to take pride in their community and make improvements to their own properties.
- 2013-05-16 - Public Advised to Exercise Caution While Using Parks And Trails (pdf) - The investigations relate to an assault near a trail at Chine Drive and Burleigh Avenue in Port Coquitlam in the early hours of April 23, 2013, and the discovery of a body on the trails in Colony Farm in Coquitlam the afternoon of May 12, 2013.
- 2013-05-15 - Public Advised to Use Caution Along The Fraser River (pdf) - Water levels are expected to drop due to the cooler weather patterns forecasted throughout the week. However, the public is advised to use extreme caution along the river and other watercourses as the current is fast moving.
- 2013-05-08 - Comment on Draft Transportation Plan to Win Prizes (pdf) - What will that transportation network be like – and what will its users need from it – in 10, 20, 30 years and beyond? That is the question being answered by Port Coquitlam’s draft Master Transportation Plan, which is being presented for public comment for the last time from May 10 to June 7 before it is considered by Council for approval this fall.
- 2013-05-07 - Street Banners Highlight 100 Port Coquitlam Locals (pdf) - The city introduces new street banners each year during the May Day Festival through its Community Banner Program. This year, in recognition of Port Coquitlam’s 100th birthday, the banners depict 100 residents who range from community builders to average citizens and highlight a diversity in culture, role, and age (from 5 to 100). A total of 259 banners have been installed along city streets, including the Coast Meridian Overpass for the first time as a centennial legacy project.
- 2013-05-06 - History in the Making at Tree Planting Saturday in Port Coquitlam - (pdf) Following the Rotary May Day Grande Parade, a Back in Time promenade featuring Council members and performers in period costume will leave City Hall for Aggie Park on foot at about 12:15 p.m.
- 2013-05-03 - New Youth-Designed T-Shirt Celebrates City Centennial and Spirit - (pdf) - Llavore, in Grade 12 at Riverside Secondary, was one of a dozen local youth who participated in the youth t-shirt design contest held earlier this year to engage young people in the City of Port Coquitlam's 100th birthday.
- 2013-05-02 - Centennial Highlighted During This Year's May Day Festival May 3-12 (pdf) - The opening ceremony on May 3, 7:30 p.m. launches a 10-day festival including a parade, May Pole dancing, a family carnival, Youth Week activities, an art show, a dance, amusement rides, trolley tours and more. Most events are free.
- 2013-05-01 - Port Coquitlam Kicks Off Youth Week With Intergenerational Dinner (pdf) - Held each year throughout B.C. from May 1-7, Youth Week recognizes the contributions of youth and strengthens the bonds between young people and their communities.
- 2013-04-24 - Port Coquitlam Legends Honoured at Volunteer Gala Tuesday (pdf) - In keeping with its 100th birthday this year, the City of Port Coquitlam's annual Volunteer Recognition Awards and Tribute - dubbed Legends of Port Coquitlam in 2013 - honoured both the volunteers who helped build the community and those who are active today.
- 2013-04-23 - Press Release - Waste-Loss Contestants Keep Half a Tonne Out of Landfill (pdf)- From Jan. 14 to Apr. 5, the Hobenshield, Saggu, Hanan and Hubbard households worked to reduce what they send to the landfill and sort their waste properly as they competed for prizes.
- 2013-04-22 - Press Release - Port Coquitlam Website Features Updated Look and Functions (pdf) - Launched last week and found at www.portcoquitlam.ca the redesigned website has modern graphics and effects, an improved search function and navigtion to help visitors find information more easily, and larger font and titles for better legibility.
- 2013-04-17 - PSA - Free Smoke Alarms for Seniors, People with Disabilities (pdf) - The smoke alarm giveaway and testing program, coordinated by Port Coquitlam Fire & Emergency Services, is part of a province-wide campaign led by the Fire Chiefs' Association of B.C. to ensure every home in the province has a working smoke alarm.
- 2013-04-16 - PSA - Get Help From The City For Your Block Party (pdf) - The program is one of several community outreach initiatives this year from the Port Coquitlam Spirit Committee, which is spearheading the city's centennial events. Block parties are being promoted as a way of creating grassroots celebrations throughout the community that recognize the city's birthday while bringing neighbours together.
- 2013-04-15 - Press Release - Reduce Trash and Find Treasures in Port Coquitlam this Weekend (pdf) - The fifth annual event, held during Earth Week each year, encourages the recycling and re-use of unwanted but still usable household items to keep them out of the landfill.
- 2013-04-15 - Press Release - Fire Department Looks Forward With New Operational Plan (pdf) - Increased diversity, faster responses, reduced costs and improved safety are the anticipated results of the new Fire & Emergency Services operational plan, developed following an eight-month operational review of the department.
- 2013-04-11 - Press Release - Vote for Port Coquitlam Waste-Loss Contestants and Win. (pdf) - Since Jan. 14, four Port Coquitlam households have been sending as little as possible to the landfill and sorting their waste properly as they compete for prizes and the title of Biggest Waste Loser.
- 2013-04-09 - Press Release - Business Development Task Force Reports Findings to Council. (pdf) - The task force, which submitted its findings to City Council on Apr. 8, has been working since March 2012 to identify economic development opportunities and challenges to doing business in Port Coquitlam.
- 2013-04-03 - Press Release - Nominate an Outstanding Youth or Mentor for a Reach Award by April 9. (pdf) - The Tri-City REACH (Recognizing Efforts and Achievements Across Community & Home) Awards recognize the contributions of youth, youth groups, businesses and organizations, and adult mentors in Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam and Port Moody who help make our communities youth friendly. Nominations will be accepted until April 9.
- 2013-03-27 - Press Release - Spring Cleaning? Sign Up for City Wide Garage Sale by April 10 (pdf) - Held during Earth Week, the fifth annual event is part of the City's ongoing waste-reduction efforts.
- 2013-03-26 - PSA - Get Grants and Swag for your 100th Birthday Event in Port Coquitlam (pdf) - The Port Coquitlam Spirit Committee - which is spearheading the city's year-long 100th birthday celebrations - has initiated a partners in Community Spirit program to encourage community involvement.
- 2013-03-25 - Press Release - Port Coquitlam Recognized for Livability as it Turns 100 (pdf)- In the same month as its 100th birthday, one of Metro Vancouver's smaller cities has received external recognition for its livability. Port Coquitlam was ranked the third most livable city in BC and 334rd out of 200 across the country in Moneysense magazine's annual Best Places to Live ranking - something that comes as little surprise to Mayor Greg Moore.
- 2013-03-19 - Press Release - Port Coquitlam Hopes to Boost Earth Hour Participation 2013-(pdf)-How about starting by turning off all non-essential lights and power sources for one hour - from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Mar. 23 - as part of Earth Hour? The City of Port Coquitlam is encouraging local residents and businesses to join in the global climate-change initiative, launched in 2007 by the World Wildlife Federation and the City of Sydney, Australia.
- 2013-03-18 - Press Release - Sort Waste Everywhere in Port Coquitlam with New Street Bins-(pdf) - Over 50 waste-sorting bins - with separate slots for food scraps, recyclables and garbage - were installed this week in public spaces throughout Port Coquitlam such as parks, shopping areas, bus stops and in front of schools and businesses.
- 2013-03-18 - PSA - Join an Inline Hockey Program This Spring for Non-Contact Fun-(pdf) - Open to male and female participants, the City's inline hockey program is a non-contact sport that focuses on fun, safety and skill development for younger players. Port Coquitlam's program offers four different age divisions and each division plays a one hour game, once a week at the Port Coquitlam Recration Complex.
- 2013-03-14 - Press Release - Centennial Celebrations Making Period Clothing a 2013 Fashion Choice (pdf) - Showcasing a century in fashion, the events are part of the City of Port Coquitlam's year-long centennial celebrations and will take place at Wilson Centre on March 28, 12:30 p.m. and March 30, 7:00 p.m.
- 2013-03-13 - PSA - Learn, Get Tips From Port Coquitlam Waste Loss Contestants (pdf) - Port Coquitlam's Hanan, Hobenshield, Hubbard and Saggu households are competing to see who can be the biggest waste loser by reducing what they send to the landfill and sorting their waste properly from Jan. 14 to Apr. 5.
- 2013-03-04- Press Release - Nominate a Port Coquitlam Volunteer by March 17 Deadline (pdf) - Nominations in seven different categories will be accepted until Sunday, Mar. 17 for the 2013 awards, whose theme Legends of Port Coquitlam recognizes the important role volunteers have played since the city was incorporated in 1913.
- 2013-03-01- PSA - Celebrate Port Coquitlam's 100th Birthday Thursday (pdf) - The City of Port Coquitlam will mark the 100th anniversary of its incorporation on Mar. 7. Centennial events and projects are taking place throughout 2013, coordinated by the Port Coquitlam Spirit Committee.
- 2013-02-25 - PSA - Youth T-Shirt Design Contest Extended to Mar. 15 (pdf) - To celebrate its 100th birthday in 2013, the City of Port Coquitlam is inviting youth ages 13 to 18 to submit artwork for a commemorative t-shirt design by Mar. 15.
- 2013-02-22 - Press Release - Port Coquitlam Continues to Take Stand Against Bullying (pdf) - This is the City's sixth year taking part in the national anti-bullying movement that started in 2007 after students in Nova Scotia rallied around a boy who was bullied for wearing a pink polo shirt. BC Stop Bullying Day is Feb. 27 this year.
- 2013-02-19 - Press Release - City of Port Coquitlam Throws 100th Birthday Party on March 7 - (pdf) - The City of Port Coquitlam was incorporated on Mar. 7, 1913 after receiving the sanction of the provincial government to split off from the largely rural District of Coquitlam. A variety of events, activities and legacy projects are taking place in Port Coquitlam throughout 2013 to recognize the centennial, including Mar. 7 events at several city facilities.
- 2013-02-19 - Press Release - Feedback Sought on Future of Outdoor Pools in Port Coquitlam (pdf) - An online survey posted at www.portcoquitlam.ca/poolstudy from Feb. 19 to Mar. 5 is seeking feedback to the draft Outdoor Aquatic Infrastructure and Services Review, commissioned last year to address the future of the city's aging outdoor pool facilities.
- 2013-02-18 - PSA - Watch for Newsletter in Your Port Coquitlam Utility Bill (pdf) - Produced four times a year, the newsletter provides news and information about city programs and initiatives of interst to Port Coquitlam residents.
- 2013-02-07 - PSA - Port Coquitlam Swim-A-Thon Feb. 15 Raises Funds for Youth (pdf) - Taking place at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre from 7p.m to 10p.m., the second annual event is being organized by youth and aims to raise $2,000 to help provide aquatic lifesaving training to youth who could not otherwise afford it.
- 2013-02-06 - Press Release - Follow Port Coquitlam Waste Loss Contestants and Win (pdf) - Four Port Coquitlam households are competing to see who can be the biggest waste loser from January 14 to April 5 by reducing what they send to the landfill and by sorting their waste properly.
- 2013-02-05 - PSA - Program Helps Groups Showcase Accomplishments, Events (pdf) - Coordinated by the Port Coquitlam Spirit Committee, the program was launched in 2008 to provide schools, youth groups and non-profit groups a chance to raise awareness about their activities and to help build community spirit and pride.
- 2013-02-04 - Press Release - Centennial Events Featured During Spirit Week Feb 9-16 (pdf) - Spirit Week was launched in 2007 to create excitement for the 2010 Olympics, but has grown into a popular civic festival celebrating all aspects of the community. The Port Coquitlam Spirit Committee, which is spearheading the city's 100th birthday celebrations this year, assists the city with the annual event.
- 2013-02-04 - Press Release - New Tool Helps Port Coquitlam Taxpayers Comment on Budget (pdf) - Those are the types of questions the City of Port Coquitlam is asking its taxpayers from Feb. 4 to 15 as it collects feedback to the 2013-2017 Financial Plan - and in particular, the 2013 Budget.
- 2013-02-01 -Press Release - City Recognized for Employee Health and Safety Programs (pdf) - At the January 28 Council meeting, the British Columbia Municipal Safety Association recognized the City for successful completion of the Certificate of Recognition Program for both its Safety Management and Return to Work Programs. Port Coquitlam had an external audit done of its Occupational Health and Safety and Disability Managment programs in fall of 2012, resulting in certification for a further three year period.
- 2013-01-31 - Press Release - Need Funding? Apply for a Grant from the City (pdf) - The City of Port Coquitlam is once again offering $20,000 in matching grants to non-profit Port Coquitlam school, sport, arts, environmental and community-service groups through its Self-Help Matching Program. The deadline for 2013 applications is April 2.
- 2013-01-31 - PSA - Scalds the Most Common Cause of Burns in Children (pdf) - In Canada, fires and burn injuries are the second leading cause of accidental death in children one to four years old, and the leading cause of injury and death for children one to 18 years old.
- 2013-01-28 - Press Release - City of Port Coquitlam Reaches Agreement with Firefighters (pdf) - City council has approved the memorandum of agreement reached Jan. 22 between the city and Local 1941 of the international Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) that renews the collective agreement up to Dec. 31, 2011. This paves the way for negotiations to begin on a more current agreement.
- 2013-01-24 - PSA - Royal Party Sought for Port Coquitlam May Day Festival (pdf) - Selected through a random draw, the May Day Royal party consists of Flower Girls from Grades 1 and 2, and Princesses and Lancers (similar to a knight) from Grades 4 and 5.
- 2013-01-21 - Digital Art Wall at Recreation Complex Will Show City's Past, Present and Future - (pdf) - These themes will be explored by a digital media public art project that will light up the windows of the Port Coquitlam Recreation Complex nightly from Feb. 13 to Mar. 11. Part of the city's 100th birthday celebrations this year, Illuminating Port Coquitlam will show the passage of time and changing of places and people through original digital artwork as well as submissions from the community.
- 2013-01-16 - Press Release - Volunteer Awards Honour 'Local Legends' Who Helped Build Port Coquitlam - (pdf) - Nominations are now being accepted for the 2013 awards, whose theme Legends of Port Coquitlam recognizes the important role volunteers have played since the city was incorporated in 1913.
- 2013-01-15 - Press Release - 2012 A Year of Community Engagement for Port Coquitlam - (pdf) - At Monday's City Council meeting, Mayor Greg Moore continued his tradition of reviewing the City's accomplishments of the previous year and offering the community a snapshot of the coming year.
- 2013-01-03 - Press Release - Port Coquitlam Kicks Off 100th Birthday Celebrations Jan.4 - (pdf) -The year-long celebration is intended to honour the city's past, present and future and reflect all aspects of the community.
Media Contact:Pardeep Purewal
Manager of Communications and Administrative Services
Location:3rd Floor, City Hall, 2580 Shaughnessy Street
Port Coquitlam BC V3C 2A8
Business Hours8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)
[ Return to top ]