- 2013-06-19 - Leading-Edge Policy Ensures Future Playgrounds Are Accessible To All (pdf) - City Council adopted a Corporate Accessible Play Spaces Policy on June 10 with the goal of making all future play spaces and equipment safe and accessible for people of all abilities – starting with the playground upgrades at Lions Park later this year.
- 2013-06-12 - Get On The Air At Castle Park June 21-23 (pdf) - Residents are invited to drop by Castle Park on Saturday, June 22 from noon to 4 p.m. to connect with radio operators from around the world and take part in a worldwide amateur radio competition.
- 2013-06-07 - Port Coquitlam 2012 Annual Report Focuses On Building Relationships (pdf) - Entitled Building Relationships, the statutory document features the city’s accomplishments and activities for 2012, its plans for the next two years, audited financial statements and statistics. It will be received by City Council on June 24.
- 2013-05-05 - Live Port Coquitlam Council Meetings Can Be Viewed Online (pdf) - Full council meetings can now be watched live at www.portcoquitlam.ca/councilagendas through a new webstreaming service that was tested at the May 27 Council meeting and is now available for all meetings. Regular Monday night Council meetings will continue to be broadcast on Shaw Community Channel 4 at 9:00 pm on the following Tuesday.
- 2013-06-03 - Special Intake of Cultural Investment Program - Grants Available for Culture Days Acivities in Port Coquitlam. Grant Deadline: June 28. Grant & Cultural Days Information Session on June 20, 2013 at 7pm.
- 2013-05-27 - Have Your Say About Transportation on Wednesday (pdf) - The final round of public feedback is under way for a new Master Transportation Plan that will determine the future of Port Coquitlam’s pedestrian, bicycle, transit and road networks and play a role in how the community grows and develops over the next 10, 20, 30 years and beyond. The public is being asked to comment on the draft final plan that has been in development for more than a year and will be considered by City Council for adoption this fall.
- 2013-05-22 - Nominate Your Favourite Garden Before July 13 Closing Date (pdf) - The Pride of PoCo Garden Awards recognize those who help make the city beautiful, and encourages citizens of Port Coquitlam to take pride in their community and make improvements to their own properties.
- 2013-05-16 - Public Advised to Exercise Caution While Using Parks And Trails (pdf) - The investigations relate to an assault near a trail at Chine Drive and Burleigh Avenue in Port Coquitlam in the early hours of April 23, 2013, and the discovery of a body on the trails in Colony Farm in Coquitlam the afternoon of May 12, 2013.
- 2013-05-15 - Public Advised to Use Caution Along The Fraser River (pdf) - Water levels are expected to drop due to the cooler weather patterns forecasted throughout the week. However, the public is advised to use extreme caution along the river and other watercourses as the current is fast moving.
- 2013-05-08 - Comment on Draft Transportation Plan to Win Prizes (pdf) - What will that transportation network be like – and what will its users need from it – in 10, 20, 30 years and beyond? That is the question being answered by Port Coquitlam’s draft Master Transportation Plan, which is being presented for public comment for the last time from May 10 to June 7 before it is considered by Council for approval this fall.
- 2013-05-07 - Street Banners Highlight 100 Port Coquitlam Locals (pdf) - The city introduces new street banners each year during the May Day Festival through its Community Banner Program. This year, in recognition of Port Coquitlam’s 100th birthday, the banners depict 100 residents who range from community builders to average citizens and highlight a diversity in culture, role, and age (from 5 to 100). A total of 259 banners have been installed along city streets, including the Coast Meridian Overpass for the first time as a centennial legacy project.
- 2013-05-06 - History in the Making at Tree Planting Saturday in Port Coquitlam - (pdf) Following the Rotary May Day Grande Parade, a Back in Time promenade featuring Council members and performers in period costume will leave City Hall for Aggie Park on foot at about 12:15 p.m.
- 2013-05-03 - New Youth-Designed T-Shirt Celebrates City Centennial and Spirit - (pdf) - Llavore, in Grade 12 at Riverside Secondary, was one of a dozen local youth who participated in the youth t-shirt design contest held earlier this year to engage young people in the City of Port Coquitlam's 100th birthday.
- 2013-05-02 - Centennial Highlighted During This Year's May Day Festival May 3-12 (pdf) - The opening ceremony on May 3, 7:30 p.m. launches a 10-day festival including a parade, May Pole dancing, a family carnival, Youth Week activities, an art show, a dance, amusement rides, trolley tours and more. Most events are free.
- 2013-05-01 - Port Coquitlam Kicks Off Youth Week With Intergenerational Dinner (pdf) - Held each year throughout B.C. from May 1-7, Youth Week recognizes the contributions of youth and strengthens the bonds between young people and their communities.
- 2013-04-24 - Port Coquitlam Legends Honoured at Volunteer Gala Tuesday (pdf) - In keeping with its 100th birthday this year, the City of Port Coquitlam's annual Volunteer Recognition Awards and Tribute - dubbed Legends of Port Coquitlam in 2013 - honoured both the volunteers who helped build the community and those who are active today.
- 2013-04-23 - Press Release - Waste-Loss Contestants Keep Half a Tonne Out of Landfill (pdf)- From Jan. 14 to Apr. 5, the Hobenshield, Saggu, Hanan and Hubbard households worked to reduce what they send to the landfill and sort their waste properly as they competed for prizes.
- 2013-04-22 - Press Release - Port Coquitlam Website Features Updated Look and Functions (pdf) - Launched last week and found at www.portcoquitlam.ca the redesigned website has modern graphics and effects, an improved search function and navigtion to help visitors find information more easily, and larger font and titles for better legibility.
- 2013-04-17 - PSA - Free Smoke Alarms for Seniors, People with Disabilities (pdf) - The smoke alarm giveaway and testing program, coordinated by Port Coquitlam Fire & Emergency Services, is part of a province-wide campaign led by the Fire Chiefs' Association of B.C. to ensure every home in the province has a working smoke alarm.
- 2013-04-16 - PSA - Get Help From The City For Your Block Party (pdf) - The program is one of several community outreach initiatives this year from the Port Coquitlam Spirit Committee, which is spearheading the city's centennial events. Block parties are being promoted as a way of creating grassroots celebrations throughout the community that recognize the city's birthday while bringing neighbours together.
- 2013-04-15 - Press Release - Reduce Trash and Find Treasures in Port Coquitlam this Weekend (pdf) - The fifth annual event, held during Earth Week each year, encourages the recycling and re-use of unwanted but still usable household items to keep them out of the landfill.
- 2013-04-15 - Press Release - Fire Department Looks Forward With New Operational Plan (pdf) - Increased diversity, faster responses, reduced costs and improved safety are the anticipated results of the new Fire & Emergency Services operational plan, developed following an eight-month operational review of the department.
- 2013-04-11 - Press Release - Vote for Port Coquitlam Waste-Loss Contestants and Win. (pdf) - Since Jan. 14, four Port Coquitlam households have been sending as little as possible to the landfill and sorting their waste properly as they compete for prizes and the title of Biggest Waste Loser.
- 2013-04-09 - Press Release - Business Development Task Force Reports Findings to Council. (pdf) - The task force, which submitted its findings to City Council on Apr. 8, has been working since March 2012 to identify economic development opportunities and challenges to doing business in Port Coquitlam.
- 2013-04-03 - Press Release - Nominate an Outstanding Youth or Mentor for a Reach Award by April 9. (pdf) - The Tri-City REACH (Recognizing Efforts and Achievements Across Community & Home) Awards recognize the contributions of youth, youth groups, businesses and organizations, and adult mentors in Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam and Port Moody who help make our communities youth friendly. Nominations will be accepted until April 9.
- 2013-03-27 - Press Release - Spring Cleaning? Sign Up for City Wide Garage Sale by April 10 (pdf) - Held during Earth Week, the fifth annual event is part of the City's ongoing waste-reduction efforts.
- 2013-03-26 - PSA - Get Grants and Swag for your 100th Birthday Event in Port Coquitlam (pdf) - The Port Coquitlam Spirit Committee - which is spearheading the city's year-long 100th birthday celebrations - has initiated a partners in Community Spirit program to encourage community involvement.
- 2013-03-25 - Press Release - Port Coquitlam Recognized for Livability as it Turns 100 (pdf)- In the same month as its 100th birthday, one of Metro Vancouver's smaller cities has received external recognition for its livability. Port Coquitlam was ranked the third most livable city in BC and 334rd out of 200 across the country in Moneysense magazine's annual Best Places to Live ranking - something that comes as little surprise to Mayor Greg Moore.
- 2013-03-19 - Press Release - Port Coquitlam Hopes to Boost Earth Hour Participation 2013-(pdf)-How about starting by turning off all non-essential lights and power sources for one hour - from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Mar. 23 - as part of Earth Hour? The City of Port Coquitlam is encouraging local residents and businesses to join in the global climate-change initiative, launched in 2007 by the World Wildlife Federation and the City of Sydney, Australia.
- 2013-03-18 - Press Release - Sort Waste Everywhere in Port Coquitlam with New Street Bins-(pdf) - Over 50 waste-sorting bins - with separate slots for food scraps, recyclables and garbage - were installed this week in public spaces throughout Port Coquitlam such as parks, shopping areas, bus stops and in front of schools and businesses.
- 2013-03-18 - PSA - Join an Inline Hockey Program This Spring for Non-Contact Fun-(pdf) - Open to male and female participants, the City's inline hockey program is a non-contact sport that focuses on fun, safety and skill development for younger players. Port Coquitlam's program offers four different age divisions and each division plays a one hour game, once a week at the Port Coquitlam Recration Complex.
- 2013-03-14 - Press Release - Centennial Celebrations Making Period Clothing a 2013 Fashion Choice (pdf) - Showcasing a century in fashion, the events are part of the City of Port Coquitlam's year-long centennial celebrations and will take place at Wilson Centre on March 28, 12:30 p.m. and March 30, 7:00 p.m.
- 2013-03-13 - PSA - Learn, Get Tips From Port Coquitlam Waste Loss Contestants (pdf) - Port Coquitlam's Hanan, Hobenshield, Hubbard and Saggu households are competing to see who can be the biggest waste loser by reducing what they send to the landfill and sorting their waste properly from Jan. 14 to Apr. 5.
- 2013-03-04- Press Release - Nominate a Port Coquitlam Volunteer by March 17 Deadline (pdf) - Nominations in seven different categories will be accepted until Sunday, Mar. 17 for the 2013 awards, whose theme Legends of Port Coquitlam recognizes the important role volunteers have played since the city was incorporated in 1913.
- 2013-03-01- PSA - Celebrate Port Coquitlam's 100th Birthday Thursday (pdf) - The City of Port Coquitlam will mark the 100th anniversary of its incorporation on Mar. 7. Centennial events and projects are taking place throughout 2013, coordinated by the Port Coquitlam Spirit Committee.
- 2013-02-25 - PSA - Youth T-Shirt Design Contest Extended to Mar. 15 (pdf) - To celebrate its 100th birthday in 2013, the City of Port Coquitlam is inviting youth ages 13 to 18 to submit artwork for a commemorative t-shirt design by Mar. 15.
- 2013-02-22 - Press Release - Port Coquitlam Continues to Take Stand Against Bullying (pdf) - This is the City's sixth year taking part in the national anti-bullying movement that started in 2007 after students in Nova Scotia rallied around a boy who was bullied for wearing a pink polo shirt. BC Stop Bullying Day is Feb. 27 this year.
- 2013-02-19 - Press Release - City of Port Coquitlam Throws 100th Birthday Party on March 7 - (pdf) - The City of Port Coquitlam was incorporated on Mar. 7, 1913 after receiving the sanction of the provincial government to split off from the largely rural District of Coquitlam. A variety of events, activities and legacy projects are taking place in Port Coquitlam throughout 2013 to recognize the centennial, including Mar. 7 events at several city facilities.
- 2013-02-19 - Press Release - Feedback Sought on Future of Outdoor Pools in Port Coquitlam (pdf) - An online survey posted at www.portcoquitlam.ca/poolstudy from Feb. 19 to Mar. 5 is seeking feedback to the draft Outdoor Aquatic Infrastructure and Services Review, commissioned last year to address the future of the city's aging outdoor pool facilities.
- 2013-02-18 - PSA - Watch for Newsletter in Your Port Coquitlam Utility Bill (pdf) - Produced four times a year, the newsletter provides news and information about city programs and initiatives of interst to Port Coquitlam residents.
- 2013-02-07 - PSA - Port Coquitlam Swim-A-Thon Feb. 15 Raises Funds for Youth (pdf) - Taking place at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre from 7p.m to 10p.m., the second annual event is being organized by youth and aims to raise $2,000 to help provide aquatic lifesaving training to youth who could not otherwise afford it.
- 2013-02-06 - Press Release - Follow Port Coquitlam Waste Loss Contestants and Win (pdf) - Four Port Coquitlam households are competing to see who can be the biggest waste loser from January 14 to April 5 by reducing what they send to the landfill and by sorting their waste properly.
- 2013-02-05 - PSA - Program Helps Groups Showcase Accomplishments, Events (pdf) - Coordinated by the Port Coquitlam Spirit Committee, the program was launched in 2008 to provide schools, youth groups and non-profit groups a chance to raise awareness about their activities and to help build community spirit and pride.
- 2013-02-04 - Press Release - Centennial Events Featured During Spirit Week Feb 9-16 (pdf) - Spirit Week was launched in 2007 to create excitement for the 2010 Olympics, but has grown into a popular civic festival celebrating all aspects of the community. The Port Coquitlam Spirit Committee, which is spearheading the city's 100th birthday celebrations this year, assists the city with the annual event.
- 2013-02-04 - Press Release - New Tool Helps Port Coquitlam Taxpayers Comment on Budget (pdf) - Those are the types of questions the City of Port Coquitlam is asking its taxpayers from Feb. 4 to 15 as it collects feedback to the 2013-2017 Financial Plan - and in particular, the 2013 Budget.
- 2013-02-01 -Press Release - City Recognized for Employee Health and Safety Programs (pdf) - At the January 28 Council meeting, the British Columbia Municipal Safety Association recognized the City for successful completion of the Certificate of Recognition Program for both its Safety Management and Return to Work Programs. Port Coquitlam had an external audit done of its Occupational Health and Safety and Disability Managment programs in fall of 2012, resulting in certification for a further three year period.
- 2013-01-31 - Press Release - Need Funding? Apply for a Grant from the City (pdf) - The City of Port Coquitlam is once again offering $20,000 in matching grants to non-profit Port Coquitlam school, sport, arts, environmental and community-service groups through its Self-Help Matching Program. The deadline for 2013 applications is April 2.
- 2013-01-31 - PSA - Scalds the Most Common Cause of Burns in Children (pdf) - In Canada, fires and burn injuries are the second leading cause of accidental death in children one to four years old, and the leading cause of injury and death for children one to 18 years old.
- 2013-01-28 - Press Release - City of Port Coquitlam Reaches Agreement with Firefighters (pdf) - City council has approved the memorandum of agreement reached Jan. 22 between the city and Local 1941 of the international Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) that renews the collective agreement up to Dec. 31, 2011. This paves the way for negotiations to begin on a more current agreement.
- 2013-01-24 - PSA - Royal Party Sought for Port Coquitlam May Day Festival (pdf) - Selected through a random draw, the May Day Royal party consists of Flower Girls from Grades 1 and 2, and Princesses and Lancers (similar to a knight) from Grades 4 and 5.
- 2013-01-21 - Digital Art Wall at Recreation Complex Will Show City's Past, Present and Future - (pdf) - These themes will be explored by a digital media public art project that will light up the windows of the Port Coquitlam Recreation Complex nightly from Feb. 13 to Mar. 11. Part of the city's 100th birthday celebrations this year, Illuminating Port Coquitlam will show the passage of time and changing of places and people through original digital artwork as well as submissions from the community.
- 2013-01-16 - Press Release - Volunteer Awards Honour 'Local Legends' Who Helped Build Port Coquitlam - (pdf) - Nominations are now being accepted for the 2013 awards, whose theme Legends of Port Coquitlam recognizes the important role volunteers have played since the city was incorporated in 1913.
- 2013-01-15 - Press Release - 2012 A Year of Community Engagement for Port Coquitlam - (pdf) - At Monday's City Council meeting, Mayor Greg Moore continued his tradition of reviewing the City's accomplishments of the previous year and offering the community a snapshot of the coming year.
- 2013-01-03 - Press Release - Port Coquitlam Kicks Off 100th Birthday Celebrations Jan.4 - (pdf) -The year-long celebration is intended to honour the city's past, present and future and reflect all aspects of the community.
Manager of Communications and Administrative Services
3rd Floor, City Hall, 2580 Shaughnessy Street
Port Coquitlam BC V3C 2A8
8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)
[ Return to top ]