The objective of the two programs is to encourage youth participation in physical activity. Research has shown that developing healthy lifestyles at this age – when children start to choose their own activities and are interested in an increasing number of social recreation programs – builds a pattern of physical activity and healthy living that they continue as adults. By offering free admission to drop-in activities, it is hoped this added incentive will attract more young people to recreational activities to support this trend towards active living.
The program is available to students registered in the Grade 5 or Grade 6 curriculum, ages 9, 10, 11 or 12 years old, who are residents of Port Coquitlam. The cities work closely with School District #43, independent and private schools, and home school parents to ensure that all students of this age and grade have access to the Program.
To receive the Grade 5 Get Active! or Grade 6 Stay Active! Cards, students must visit a local community recreation facility in which they reside any time between September 6, 2016 to September 4, 2017.
To receive and activate the Grade 5 Get Active! or Grade 6 Stay Active! Cards, students must bring the following documentation with them to the registration desk to receive and activate their membership card:
- A letter of verification from School District #43(or documentation from school for independent, private or home school students) identifying them as either a Grade 5 or 6 students.
- Birth certificate or Care Card showing the student is of the applicable age to enter either Grade 5 or Grade 6 as December 31st, 2016.
- Proof of residency – Students must have a Port Coquitlam address ( e.g utility or tax bill; driver's licences not accepted).
It is the student's responsibility to keep the card safe. If the card is lost or damaged, replacement cards are available at a nominal fee of $5. Grade 6 cards can not be replaced if lost.
CLICK HERE for more information and a list of 2016/17 activities.
For more information please email: email@example.com or call 604.927.8400
Participating Recreation FacilitiesPort Coquitlam
- Hyde Creek Recreation Complex
1379 Laurier Avenue
- Port Coquitlam Recreation Complex
2150 Wilson Avenue
- Poirier Sport & Leisure comples (Pool & Arena)
633 Poirier Street
- Pinetree Community Centre,
1260 Pinetree Way
- City Centre Aquatics Complex,
1210 Pinetree Way
- Centennial Community Centre,
570 Poirier Street
- Port Moody Social Recreation Centre,
300 Ioco Road