Move! Create! Connect! with our Rec Team
The city is pleased to provide virtual exercise classes, links to resources and online activity options for all ages. Check out our full library of videos and resources to enjoy fun and free ways to help you MOVE, CREATE and CONNECT while you spend time at home. Go to Move. Create. Connect. ONLINE
City Reopening Plans
Masks Required in Indoor Spaces
Based on a recent PHO order, masks are required for people age 5 and up at all indoor City of Port Coquitlam facilities.
- Masks may be removed temporarily while participating in a sport or fitness activity in a City recreation facility.
Proof of Vaccination
City of Port Coquitlam has joined organizations and businesses across BC in requiring proof of vaccination—the BC Vaccine Card—for certain discretionary activities as outlined by the provincial government.
As we have throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the City continues to follow the guidance and direction of the Provincial Health Officer and Fraser Health. Implementing BC Vaccine Card procedures is required in order to comply with legislation. We thank all of our visitors and staff for doing their part to keep our City facilities and programs safe.
Proof of vaccination and photo ID will be required for those 22 years and older participating in fitness, sport and other physically active programs. Patrons unable to provide the required documentation will not be allowed to participate in these recreation programs. Proof of vaccination will not be required for preschool, children, and youth programs.
The PHO order requires proof of first vaccination for:
- Indoor fitness classes, weight rooms (12 and older)
- Sport activities and arena sports (12 and older.) (12-21 years exempt if a youth-specific program)
- Any indoor event/activity attended by 50+ people, such as spectating at a hockey game (12 and older)
At this time, proof of vaccination is not required to participate in:
- Sport activities for age 21 or younger
- Indoor or outdoor pools and aquatic amenities – all ages
- Arenas (but does apply to 22+ ice sport)
- Terry Fox Library – all ages
- Non-recreation civic facilities such as City Hall and Annex, Public Works and Fire Halls
Terry Fox Library staff are available to help residents apply for their BC Vaccine Card.
Follow the City on social media and watch this page for updates.
- The City is guided by provincial and federal authorities on health matters and is committed to responding promptly to each new directive.
- The health and safety of residents and employees is our top priority.
- Decisions to close facilities or cancel events are not taken lightly, but are made when necessary to protect public health.
Current Service Levels
The City of Port Coquitlam is continuing to implement a gradual and safe reopening of facilities and in-person services based on the BC Restart Plan and all Provincial Health Officer (PHO) orders. These plans will be adjusted to reflect any changes in guidance from PHO.
Please be patient as we refine our procedures in order to safely reintroduce services. Watch this page and portcoquitlam.ca/register in the coming days for more information.
Effective Oct 12, 2021:
The City continues to gradually increase its recreation registered and drop-in offerings.
Most City facilities resume regular hours with the following exceptions:
- Council meetings continue in Zoom format in October
Recreation Facility Current Hours
- Hyde Creek Recreation Centre
- Port Coquitlam Community Centre
- Terry Fox Library
- Gathering Place and Michael Art Gallery
Recreation Pre-registered Drop-ins
Click for pre-registered drop-in activities continuing in October.
Recreation Drop-in Activities (No pre-registration)
- Fitness classes
- Weight room – Port Coquitlam Community Centre
- Weight room – Hyde Creek Recreation Centre reopening later in September.
- Youth – Port Coquitlam Community Centre drop-ins
- Seniors – Wilson Centre drop-ins
- Playmania parent participation drop-ins return to Hyde Creek and Port Coquitlam Community Centre this fall
- Hyde Creek childminding play centre returning this fall
Know Before You Go - COVID-19 Protocols
Last Updated October 14, 2021
A “hybrid model” is in place for recreation program admissions. This allows participants to continue to book time slots in advance for pre-registered drop-in programs including aquafit and fitness classes as well as drop in if spots are still available. Pre-registration is not required for the weight room or public swimming.
General Drop-in and Program Guidelines:
- Accounts required for all drop-in programs and can be created at portcoquitlam.ca/register
- One City Day Pass can be purchased online at portcoquitlam.ca/register prior to arrival and scanned at entry (printed receipt or on phone accepted)
- Registration for drop-in programs open one week in advance at 8 am and close 60 mins prior to activity start time
- Participants may withdraw from a drop-in activity 24 hours prior to start time
- Cancellations can be made online (min 24 hours notice required), by phone at 604.927.PLAY (7529) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Note – Participants who do not attend a session without cancelling in advance will be charged the cost of a single admission
- Participants may withdraw from a registered program up to 48 hours notice prior to activity start time
- Latecomers will be not admitted into registered programs
- Face masks are required inside all indoor facilities for people 5 years and older
- If you are feeling unwell or have any COVID-19 symptoms do not enter the facility
Vaccine Passport Information:
Proof of vaccination (12 years and up) with a piece of government identification (22 years and up) is required for certain activities and must be shown at each visit. Information available at portcoquitlam.ca/covid19 or visit the BC provincial government website on the PHO Order for additional details.
Weight Room and Fitness Classes Guidelines:
Weight Room drop-in available at Port Coquitlam Community Centre and Hyde Creek Recreation Centre
- One City Day pass required for entry and can be purchased online at portcoquitlam.ca/register prior to arrival
- Pre-registration for drop-in fitness classes required online, in person or by calling 604-927-PLAY (7529) as space permits
- Participants for fitness classes are asked to arrive 10 minutes prior to scheduled start time for check in (latecomers will not be admitted). Registration will continue to be required
- Full schedule and hours are available at portcoquitlam.ca/fitness
Drop in public swim schedules available at portcoquitlam.ca/swimming
- Lockers available for $1 – bring a loonie
- A parent/guardian is required in the water for Starfish, Duck and Sea Turtle only
- Participants may only register for one swim lesson set at a time (including performance enhancers).
- Participants must successfully complete a swim level prior to registering in the next level
- Additional swim class registrations will be cancelled
- Spectators welcome during lesson and public swim times
- For more information visit portcoquitlam.ca/swimming
For more information and schedule visit portcoquitlam.ca/skating
- Participants under 8 years of age must have a guardian 16+ years with them
- 11 years and under require a CSA approved helmet; strong recommended for all skaters (bike helmets not permitted)
- Wheelchairs and strollers permitted
Refunds / Withdrawals:
- $5 withdrawal / cancellation fee waived during COVID-19
- Customers who pre-registered but do not show up for a session will be charged one drop-in admission onto account – Payment required prior to future registrations
- Participants may withdraw from a registered activity with up to 48 hours notice and from camps with seven days notice prior to start date and time
- Participants may withdraw from their registered drop-in activity up to 24 hours in advance without penalty online, by calling 604.927.PLAY (7529) or by emailing email@example.com
- Rental cancellations require 24 hours notice