Build or Renovate a Structure

Are you constructing a new building, renovating an existing building, or building an accessory building, deck or suite?

Depending on the complexity of your project, the permit and application process will vary.

If your project involves rezoning or development of a new structure, refer to the Developing a Property page.

Get Started

A property’s zoning and Official Community Plan (OCP) designation determines what types of development and uses are permitted. Further, if the property is included in a Development Permit Area, you may need a Development Permit to complete your work.

Check PoCoMAP for zoning, OCP designation, Development Permit Areas, and other property information.

Does your zoning or OCP designation match your plans?

  • If yes, proceed to the checklist below.
  • If not, click for more information about:

If you require a Development Permit, see Developing a Property.

As of July 23, 2018 the City will require electric vehicle charging rough-ins in new residential buildings. See Electric Vehicles.

Project Checklist

Below is a checklist of reviews and permits required for building in Port Coquitlam – see the description to determine which apply to your project. Each linked page includes topic-specific contact information.

New Requirements

  • BC Energy Step Code
  • BC Building Code Changes
Build a Fence

A fence is defined in the Zoning Bylaw as a vertical structure used for enclosure or screening where the thickness is equal to, or less than, 8 cm (0.26 ft.) excluding top and bottom rails and posts. Height is measured from finished grade.

The illustration below indicates maximum fence heights as applied to a typical residential lot:

Fence GraphicThe image above is a general guide to the requirements for fences and walls in the City of Port Coquitlam. Please consult the Zoning Bylaw, 2008, No. 3630 for specific requirements.

Farm Home Plate

In order to preserve space for farming, the Zoning Bylaw requires that the farm residence and other residential uses be contained within the “farm home plate”.

What does the farm home plate include?
The farm home plate includes the footprint of the farm residence and all farm residence accessory facilities, such as a garage, carport, driveway, ornamental landscaping, artificial pond, greenhouse, pergola, workshop, storage shed, swimming pool, tennis court and similar facilities.

How big can the farm home plate be?
The maximum area of the farm home plate is limited to the greater of 10% of the lot area or 1000m2, up to a maximum of 2000m2. For example, a 1.5 ha property (15,000 m2) could have a maximum farm home plate of 1500 m2.

How is the farm home plate calculated? 
To calculate the farm home plate on a property, the distance from the front property line to the rear of the farthest residential building (house or accessory building) is multiplied by the width of the farm residence plus any farm residence accessory facilities outside of that width.

farm home plate

The image above is a general guide to the requirements for farm home plates in the City of Port Coquitlam. Please consult the Zoning Bylaw, 2008, No. 3630 for specific requirements.


Planning Division
Tel 604.927.5442

Building Division
Tel 604.927.5444

Development Engineering
Tel 604.927.5420

Location and Mailing Address

City Hall Annex (Above the Bank of Montreal, 200-2564 Shaughnessy St, Port Coquitlam, BC, V3C 3G4

Business Hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)