Demolition Permit

If you want to demolish building(s) of any use over 10 square metres (107 square feet) in size, a demolition permit is required.

You need a demolition permit to ensure:

  • Public safety, hazardous materials and watercourse protection issues are addressed,
  • City water, sanitary and storm services are disconnected; and
  • Ensure building records are maintained.

Tree permits are required for the damaging, cutting, or removal of the following:

  • A tree with a diameter of 15 cm (as measured 1.4 m above ground), or a height over 5 metres
  • A tree planted to replace a tree that was cut
  • A tree planted as a landscaping requirement of a development permit
  • A tree on City-owned property, if proposed to be cut by a private individual
  • A significant tree

More information may be found at

Get Started: Pre-application

Hazardous Building Materials

The following documents need to be completed and submitted at the time of application for a demolition permit in order to comply with the BC Hazardous Waste Regulation and Environmental Management Act:

  • Hazardous material report

Hazardous or banned materials, such as asbestos, must be identified and documented in this report.

If you have any questions regarding WorkSafe BC’s requirements, please call 604.276.3100 or visit

*The abatement of hazardous materials may not start until Demolition permit issuance (see below).

Tree Cutting

If there are trees to be removed, a tree cutting permit will be required before the demolition permit is issued. Complete an online Tree Permit Application.

For further information, contact the Parks Department at 604.927.5301.

Demolition Site Safety Plan

The applicant is required to submit a Demolition Site Safety Plan to the Fire Department for their review and approval. For more information contact the Fire Department at 604.927.5288 or email

Watercourse Protection

Before a permit is issued, the demolition plan must be reviewed to ensure it does not impact the environment or any watercourses. If your site is within 30 metres of a watercourse, you will need to contact the Planning Division. For more information please call the Planning Division at 604.927.5442 or visit Watercourse Development Permit.

Site Identification

Except for demolition of single-family or two-family dwellings, a Site Identification application will have to be completed before OR with the Demolition Permit application, to ensure the project meets the provincial Waste Management Act and Contaminated Sites Regulation.

Application Process

Complete and submit the following:


Please contact the Building Division for application processing time estimates.

Fees, Charges, and Security/Deposit

All application fees are outlined in the Fees and Charges Bylaw.

Applicants will also be required to pay:

  • Water, sanitary and storm drainage service cap-off fees,
  • Highway Use Permit fee, and
  • Highway Use Security/Deposit (refundable when work is complete).
Approval Process

After the application is submitted, Development Engineering staff will contact the applicant regarding cap-off fees, the Highway Use Permit (Fees and Refundable Security), and to advise that they will now accept your request for the City to cap off the services. If you wish to proceed quickly, this must be completed before the demolition permit may be issued.

Demolition Permit Issuance
  • Documents required at this time WorkSafe BC Notice of Project
  • Upon receipt and approval of required documents and capping off of applicable services, the applicant will be advised that the permit is ready to be issued.
  • The abatement of the hazardous materials may now proceed. Do NOT start the demolition of the building. Upon completion of the abatement, the WorkSafe BC Clearance Letter must be submitted to the Building Division. At that time, a pre-demo site building inspection will be scheduled.
  • Upon completion and approval of the inspection by the building inspector, the applicant/contractor may proceed with the demolition of the building.
Post-demolition Inspections

Contact the Building Division to request a final building inspection after the demolition is complete and the site is level and clear of debris.

After this is confirmed by the Building Inspector, an Development Engineering Inspector will inspect the site and contact the applicant about any issues or release of the Highway Use Security.


Building Division
Tel 604.927.5444
24-hour Inspection Request 604.927.5445

Location and Mailing Address

City Hall Annex (Above the Bank of Montreal)
200-2564 Shaughnessy St
Port Coquitlam BC V3C 3G4

Business Hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)

Please arrive before 4 pm to allow time for application and permit processing.


Development Engineering
Tel 604.927.5420