Plumbing permits are required for:
- Work on a plumbing system in a new or existing building,
- Installation of plumbing fixtures and/or system components,
- Installation or replacement of a sanitary sewer, storm sewer or water service located on private property,
- Installation or replacement of a back flow prevention device, or
- Installation of an inground swimming pool.
Plumbing permits are not required for:
- Repair of minor leaks in water pipes,
- Replacement of plumbing fixtures, provided that replacement fixtures are CSA approved, or
- Removal of blockages in pipes, provided the blockages are removed through the cleanouts.
Get Started: Pre-application
The completed Plumbing Permit application must be accompanied by the appropriate attachments. Please see the application form for a list of application requirements.
Please contact the Building Division for application processing time estimates.
Fees, Charges, and Security/Deposit
All application fees are outlined in Schedule D of the Fees and Charges Bylaw.
A File Manager will be assigned to manage your application. Staff will review your application and inform you if any necessary requirements are not met.
Once all application requirements have been met, you will be notified that your permit has been issued and is ready for pickup (see office hours below).
24-hour Inspection Request 604.927.5445
Location and Mailing Address
City Hall Annex (Above the Bank of Montreal)
200-2564 Shaughnessy St
Port Coquitlam BC V3C 3G4
Business Hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)
Please arrive before 4 pm to allow time for application and permit processing.