Develop a Property
Are you developing a new project or proposing major changes to an existing building?
This page includes information about development and redevelopment projects, generally involving multiple units or structures. These may include single-family homes in the RS4 zone, duplexes, multi-family complexes, and industrial, commercial and institutional properties.
If your property is in a RS1 to RS3 residential zone, please refer to Build or Renovate a Structure.
A property’s zoning and Official Community Plan (OCP) designation determines what types of development and uses are permitted on the property.
Check PoCoMAP for zoning, OCP designation and other property information
Does your zoning or OCP designation match your plans?
- If yes, proceed to the checklist below.
- If not, click for more information about:
The City is also considering requiring electric vehicle charging rough-ins in new residential buildings. See Electric Vehicles.
Below is a checklist of reviews and permits required for property development in Port Coquitlam – see the description to determine which apply to your project. Each linked page includes topic-specific contact information.
- Building Permit – for construction, alteration, repair or demolition of buildings and structures
- Demolition Permit – for projects requiring building demolition
- Development Permit: All zones other than RS4
- Development Permit: Small lot development (RS4)
- Development Variance Permit – for projects that don’t met current requirements of City bylaws
- Energy Permit – for installation of baseboard radiant heat or in-slab radiant heat
- Fire Sprinkler Permit – for installation of fire sprinkler systems as required by bylaw
- Highway Use Permit – required for a variety of types of development and business operations
- Licenced Establishment Application – to sell or serve liquor
- Monitoring Well Permit – to install a monitoring well
- Plumbing Permit – for installation of plumbing fixtures (e.g. showers, tubs, sinks, water tanks and hose bibs)
- Road Closure Permit – request to close roads or lanes
- Sign Permit – for installation of exterior signs
- Site Profiles – screens for potentially contaminated sites
- Site Services Permit (pdf) – for on-site services such as utility holes, catchbasins, lawn drains, fire hydrants, pump chambers, water meters and others
- Soil Removal and Deposit Permit – for removal and deposit of soil or fill on a property
- Subdivision – involves land being divided into smaller properties
- Temporary Use Permit – allowing temporary commercial and industrial uses
- Tree Cutting Permit – for removal of more than one tree/year
- Watercourse Development Permit – for projects that may impact a watercourse
Development Engineering Inspections
Development Engineering now requests that you book your inspection’s using the form below. Please ensure all fields are filled in.
If you are having trouble filling out the form please contact Development Engineering at 604.927.5420.
Location and Mailing Address
City Hall Annex (Above the Bank of Montreal, 200-2564 Shaughnessy St, Port Coquitlam, BC, V3C 3G4
Business Hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)