False Alarm Program
Definition of a False Alarm
A false alarm is defined as the activation of an alarm system resulting in the direct or indirect notification of the Fire Department and/or RCMP and their actual attendance at the address of the alarm system where there’s no evidence of:
- unauthorized entry or the commission of an unlawful act in relation to the property protected by the Alarm System;
- smoke damage or any other visible sign of fire;
- or an emergency situation.
It also includes situations where:
- the alarm system has malfunctioned;
- the alarm system has been activated in error; or
- the alarm system has been activated during testing.
Property Owner Responsibilities
The property owner or occupier is responsible for the proper use, installation, maintenance, and operation of any security alarm system or fire alarm system installed on or in the property.
Every property owner or occupier who uses a security alarm system or fire alarm system must keep the Fire & Emergency Services department and RCMP informed in writing of the names, addresses and telephone numbers of:
- the monitoring service, if applicable; or
- at least three persons who will be known as Property References and may be contacted in the event of an alarm incident.
Please direct your written notices to:
Port Coquitlam Fire Department
1725 Broadway Street
Port Coquitlam BC V3C 2M9
RCMP, Coquitlam/Port Coquitlam Detachment
2986 Guildford Way,
Coquitlam, BC V3B 7Y5
The charge for each false alarm that the Fire Department or RCMP attends are as follows:
- No Fee – the first two false alarms in a calendar year
- $150.00 – the third and fourth false alarms in a calendar year
- $300.00 for the fifth and each subsequent false alarm in a calendar year
Where a fee is charged, the City will invoice the owner of the real property for the response service.
If false alarm infractions are not paid, the amount is added onto the property owner’s taxes at the end of the calendar year in which the infraction was issued. Once this charge is added to the taxes, it becomes “taxes in arrears” and is subject to interest charges.
Fire Protective Services
Port Coquitlam Fire & Emergency Services
Tel 604.927.5340 or 604.927.5466