Frequently Asked Questions

What is the size of an RV permitted in a residential area?

RVs over 19.6 feet in length and over 4,600 kg are Class 2 vehicles, which cannot be parked on residential streets. Class 2 vehicles may park in designated areas stipulated in the Highway Use Bylaw 2018.

Can someone park in front of my house and for how long?

Parking is permitted on City streets except where signage or traffic control devices indicate otherwise. Parking over 48 hours is not permitted, however leniency will be given to vehicles registered to the neighbourhood.

How close can I park to a driveway (residential/commercial)?

Vehicles cannot be parked closer than one metre to a driveway.

Can you park an unlicensed vehicle on the City street?

No, vehicles must be insured (licensed), per the Motor Vehicle Act.

What can I do about noise within a Strata property?

Noise within a strata (e.g., apartment or townhouse complex) is regulated and enforced by the strata, unless the noise disturbance complaint originates from outside the strata parcel.

What times apply to the noise bylaw?

The noise bylaw is in effect from 11 pm to 7 am. However, noise that is unreasonable outside of these hours may be enforced.

What are the times for construction noise?
  • 7 am to 7 pm Monday-Friday
  • 9 am to 7 pm Saturdays
  • No construction is permitted on Sundays and statutory holidays
Does the City have decibel levels in the bylaw?

Decibel levels only apply to air conditioner units or heat pumps. Decibel levels may not exceed 50 decibels between 7 am and 11 pm on any day; or 45 decibels between 11 pm and 7 am on the following day.

How do I report a dog barking complaint?

Residents who are disturbed by barking dogs can request an investigation by submitting a detailed noise complaint form to the Bylaw Services Office. To register an excessive barking complaint you must first record the location where the dog lives, and the dates, times and duration of the barking in a barking dog log either online or download the form (pdf).

Once you have completed a barking dog log, you must then complete a noise complaint form. Download a printable version of the complaint form or complete the online version.

When/where do I need to leash my dog?

Dogs must be leashed at all times when out in public except at the off leash Parks. Port Coquitlam has two dog Parks:

  • Shaughnessy off leash park and
  • Downtown off leash park (located on Bury Ave).
When/how do I purchase a dog licence?

Dog licences can be purchased in the Tax Department at City Hall or online. Licences must be purchased by February 1 of the current year. Dogs under six months do not require a license.

How do I report wildlife concerns to BC Conservation?

Wildlife concerns and bear sightings should be reported to the Conservation Office RAPP line at 1.877.952.7277

Are backyard chickens allowed in Port Coquitlam?

Chickens are farm animals. They may be kept in the agricultural zone but are not permitted in residential zones.  Chickens and chicken feed can attract wildlife, including coyotes and bears.

Are secondary suites permitted?

Secondary suites are permitted in Port Coquitlam with applicable permits, as long as the property is not in the flood plain.


Do I need a Business Licence in Port Coquitlam?

If you conduct business with Port Coquitlam, you are required to have a valid Port Coquitlam licence.

How do I obtain a business licence?

Business licence application forms are available from the Business Licence Department in the Annex Building beside City Hall or online.

How long is a business licence valid?

Business licenses are issued for one calendar year. January 1 – December 31. The licence fee is pro-rated on August 1 for new businesses.

What are the consequences of operating without a business licence?

You can be fined up to $150 per day.