Councillor Darrell Penner
Darrell Penner traces his passion for the environment to a day in the early 1990s when he cleaned up a creek near his house with the younger of his two sons. Not long after, he helped found Hyde Creek Streamkeepers – one of the City’s first streamkeeper groups – and became active in projects ranging from stream cleanups to establishing a watershed education centre. Even his recreational property on Pitt Lake is carbon neutral, thanks to a hydroelectric project he collaborated on with other owners over the past few years.
Darrell has called Port Coquitlam home since his family moved here in 1971 from Winnipeg, his birthplace. After working as a meat-cutter since his teen years, he and his wife Brenda opened Meridian Meats & Seafood in 1989 and later turned the business over to their eldest son and now both sons run the company. A life-long learner, Darrell earned his teaching credentials and taught meat cutting at Vancouver Community College for six years. He now works as a mechanical technician at International Submarine Engineering in Port Coquitlam.
In his spare time, Darrell enjoys riding his mountain bike on the local trails, as well as making music; a multi-instrumentalist, he has played guitar and bass for decades in various bands. He and Brenda have two sons and daughter-in-laws and four grandchildren.
2580 Shaughnessy Street
Port Coquitlam BC
- First elected to Council in November 1999
- Chair, Transportation Solutions & Public Works Committee
- Member, Finance and Intergovernmental Committee
- Member, Healthy Community Committee
- Member, Budget & Infrastructure Advisory Committee
- Alternate Representative, Metro Vancouver Board of Directors
- City Representative, Metro Vancouver Regional Parks Committee
- City Representative, Metro Vancouver Regional Planning Committee
- City Representative, Tri-City Transportation Task Force
- Founding President of the Hyde Creek Streamkeepers
- Longtime resident of Port Coquitlam (43years)
- Graduated from Port Coquitlam Senior High School
- Longtime business owner in Port Coquitlam
- Holds Certificate of Qualification for meat cutting (Vancouver Community College)
- Holds Instructors Training Certificate (Vancouver Community College)
- Completed Fish Culture Technician Course (Capilano College)