Councillor Mike Forrest
The Fraser River runs through Mike Forrest’s veins. A third generation Port Coquitlam resident, Mike grew up learning to work and love the river from his family of local marine industry pioneers. As a boy, his morning adventures on the river would make him late for school almost every day. The Pitt River was his playground; the family home floated on the Pitt until it was later grounded at the foot of Pitt River Road in the flood of 1948. Mike’s sister Joy and her husband Tony continue to occupy the home.
Not surprisingly, Mike ultimately chose a career on the water, running Forrest Marine with his brother Ray and doing everything from commercial fishing to operating tugboats, from running a water taxi to rescue and salvage. The commercial gillnet fishery is a valued part of Mike’s family heritage, and he is a tireless advocate for the Fraser gillnet fleet.
When he and Karen, his wife of 46 years, get away to their Pitt Lake cabin, Mike spends a good deal of time out on the water on a Sea-Doo or boat. He has also spent more than a decade helping develop the Fraser River Discovery Centre in New Westminster to preserve and celebrate the region’s river heritage. He and Karen have two children and five grandchildren.
2580 Shaughnessy Street
Port Coquitlam BC
- First elected to Council in November 2000
- Active Council watcher for 15 years before being elected to City Council
- Chair, Community Safety Committee
- Vice-Chair, Community & Intergovernmental Committee
- Vice-Chair, Smart Growth Committee
- Member, Finance & Budget Committee
- Member, Transportation Solutions & Public Works Committee
- City Representative, School District # 43 Municipal Liaison
- Member, Heritage Advisory Committee
- Lifetime resident and third generation pioneer family of Port Coquitlam
- Captain Certificate/Home Trade (500-ton ships)
- Co-owner/operator Forrest Marine Ltd.
- Board member– Fraser River Discovery Center 1998 – present
- Director Area E (South Coast) Gillnetters Assoc. 1990 – present
- Commissioner, Fraser River Harbour Commission 1993-99
- Canadian member of the Fraser Panel, Pacific Salmon Commission 1985-1999
- Canadian Commissioner, International Pacific Salmon Fisheries Commission 1981-1985
- President, Kilmer Home and School Association 1978-1980
- President, Port Coquitlam Amateur Athletic Association 1974-1975
- Graduated Port Coquitlam High School / Terry Fox Senior Secondary School
- Completed 2 years of pre-forestry courses at UBC
- Married to Karen; 2 children; 5 grandchildren