Committee of Council
Committee of Council will replace all previous committees. All city matters requiring a Council decision will now first be discussed by Committee of Council, which will either request changes or further information, or send them on to Council for a formal decision. This committee structure is common in many other cities and helps streamline the decision-making process.
To ensure Council members can continue to have a voice on championing key issues, they will be appointed as Council designates for the following areas:
- Cllr. Steve Darling: community safety, sports & recreation.
- Cllr. Laura Dupont: environment, climate action, parks.
- Cllr. Nancy McCurrach: arts, culture, heritage youth and seniors.
- Cllr. Darrell Penner: public works and transportation.
- Cllr. Glenn Pollock: housing.
- Cllr. Dean Washington: finance, downtown and vice-chair of Committee of Council.
- Mayor Brad West: development, planning, and economic development.
Council & Committee Meetings
There will also be some changes to the meeting schedules. Committee of Council meetings will start at 2 pm and take place the first four Tuesdays of the month.
Council meetings also start one hour earlier at 6 pm with public hearings, and take place every second and fourth Tuesday of the month.
Time-stated community advisory groups or task forces will also be created on an as needed basis to deal with emerging or key community issues.