Upcoming Public Hearings & Input Opportunities:
The Public Hearings originally scheduled for November 22, 2022, have been cancelled and rescheduled to Tuesday, December 6, 2022, at 6:00 p.m. and will be held in the Council Chambers at City Hall located at 2580 Shaughnessy Street Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Tuesday, December 13, 2022
What is the notification process?
Notice of the time and place of each public hearing is placed in two consecutive issues of the local newspaper and includes information about the general intent of the proposed bylaws and the property address.
The notice is also posted on the notice board in front of City Hall, and is sent to the owners and occupants of properties within 120 metres of the boundaries of the subject property.
Where do I get information about the bylaw?
Copies of the proposed bylaw and the relevant background reports can be reviewed on this page (above) or at City Hall with an appointment at the Corporate Office (2nd Floor – City Hall) during regular business hours.
Questions about the proposed bylaw and its development application should be directed to Development Services at 604.927.5244.
What happens at a public hearing?
All public hearings, in person or electronic, follow a similar procedure:
- An opening statement is read, outlining the hearing procedures.
- The Corporate Officer informs Council of any written submissions received prior to the public hearing.
- The Director of Development Services gives a descriptive overview of what is proposed by the bylaw.
- The applicant is given an opportunity to comment on the application.
- Members of the public are invited to make verbal submissions.
- The speakers then indicate whether or not they support the bylaw and why.
- During in-person public hearings only, speakers may also present written submissions to the Corporate Officer.
- Members of Council may ask questions at any time but will not speak their views or debate the bylaw.
- When there is no one else wishing to speak, the public hearing is then closed.
- There may be more than one public hearing held on the same night.
- The public hearing is live-streamed and recorded online for public viewing through the City’s website archives.
- By attending the public hearing in person or electronically, you consent to your personal information being collected and disclosed as per sections 26(c), 26(g), 33.1(1)(q), and 33.2(a) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
How do I make a written submission?
You may submit your comments in writing prior to the public hearing (ideally by noon on the day of the hearing):
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- By mail to Corporate Office, 2580 Shaughnessy St., Port Coquitlam, V3C 2A8.
Please note: All correspondence submitted to the City of Port Coquitlam in response to a Public Hearing consultation will form part of the public record and will be published in a meeting agenda, which is posted on the City’s website when the matter is before the Council. The City removes reference to personal names, addresses, and emails before posting the information online for public access.
What happens after the public hearing is closed?
After a public hearing is closed, Council is not permitted to listen to any further delegations or receive any written submissions on the same bylaw.
Usually, Council will consider third reading of the bylaw on the same night as the public hearing, but may postpone the vote to a future Council meeting and/or request additional information from staff.
At third reading of the bylaw, Council decides whether it wishes to proceed with the bylaw, make changes to the bylaw, or not proceed.
Location and Mailing Address
2nd Floor, City Hall
2580 Shaughnessy Street
Port Coquitlam BC
Business Hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)