Fire Prevention Week
This year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, “Look. Listen. Learn. Be aware. Fire can happen anywhere.” works to educate about three basic but essential steps to take to reduce the likelihood of having a fire – and how to escape safely in the event of one:
- LOOK for places fire could start. Take a good look around your home. Identify potential fire hazards and take care of them.
- LISTEN for the sound of the smoke alarm. You could have only minutes to escape safely once the smoke alarm sounds. Go to your outside meeting place, which should be a safe distance from the home and where everyone should meet.
- LEARN two ways out of every room and make sure all doors and windows leading outside open easily and are free of clutter.
Also, Sparky the Fire Dog® has a new friend, Simon, who is helping teach this year’s Fire Prevention Week messages – he’s a smart, resourceful character who will join Sparky in spreading fire-safety messages to adults and children alike.
When you go home today, be a smoke alarm detective!
- Ask an adult to show you where the smoke alarms are in your home.
- Ask an adult to test the smoke alarms to make sure they are working.
- Replace your batteries at daylight savings time.
- Replace your smoke alarm every 10 years.
Location and Mailing Address
#1 Fire Hall, 1725 Broadway Street
Port Coquitlam BC V3C 2M9
Administration Offices Business Hours:
8:30 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)