Home Owner Grants

The Home Owner Grant is a provincially sponsored program designed to help homeowners with their property taxes. There are two categories of grants:

  • basic grant of up to $570, or
  • additional grant for those 65 and older, a veteran or a person with disabilities of up to $845

See below for eligibility information. Homeowners eligible for the basic grant must pay a minimum property tax of $350. Homeowners eligible for the additional grant must pay a minimum property tax of $100.

Regardless of who pays the taxes or how they are paid, the homeowner must submit the grant application to the City by the tax due date to avoid penalty – either through the online form or by submitting the application on the tax notice. Unclaimed grants constitute unpaid current taxes and are subject to penalties.

Homeowners may apply for one grant only in a calendar year. The grant does not apply to delinquent taxes or to any penalties, interest or fees.

Visit www2.gov.bc.ca/propertytaxdeferment to apply for the provincial tax deferment program.

Claim Your Grant Online!

Anyone who qualifies for a Home Owner Grant has the option of claiming it online before the tax due date. Follow these three easy steps:

  1. Go to portcoquitlam.ca/e-hog.
  2. Fill in the folio number and access code listed on your tax notice, and follow the prompts.
  3. Print the confirmation for your files.

Those who qualify for additional grants will be prompted for more information, and may have to submit it directly to the Tax Office (contact information below) to confirm eligibility.

Your grant is just a click away!

Frequently Asked Questions

Where Can I Get an Application?


Do I Qualify for the Basic Grant?
  • You must be a British Columbia resident.
  • You must be a permanent BC resident.  Residency is based on a number of factors (e.g. you pay BC income taxes, automobile insurance and medical service premiums and/or possess a BC driver’s licence).
  • You must own the property when you apply for the grant.
  • You must either hold title, be a tenant for life, hold the last registered agreement for sale, or be a lessee under a 99-year lease. Your ownership interest must be registered at the Land Titles Office.
  • You must occupy the dwelling as your principal residence when you apply. The dwelling is the usual place where you make your home. It is the property on which you live and from where you conduct your daily affairs (e.g. pay your bills, file your income tax returns, receive your BC Medical bills, receive your ICBC renewals and/or life insurance). The grant does not apply to second, rental and/or other properties.

You and your spouse, together can claim only one grant. A spouse also includes a man and woman not married to each other but who have lived together as husband and wife for a continuous period of not less than 2 years. If you and your spouse have entered into a written separation agreement and are living apart, you may each apply.

You may be required to prove your eligibility for the grant by providing proof of ownership and/or residency. Documentation may be required to support your claim. Failure to provide the requested information may result in the denial of your claim for the grant.

For detailed information on your eligibility, visit the Provincial Government Homeowner Grant website.

Do I Qualify for the Additional Grant?

You must first qualify for the basic grant before you may claim the additional grant. You may claim the additional grant if you are:

  • 65 or older during the calendar year; or
  • a veteran, or the spouse or widow/widower of a veteran receiving an allowance under the War Veterans Allowance Act (Canada) or the Civilian War-Related Benefits Act (Canada); or
  • a person with disabilities receiving a disability allowance under the Disability Benefits Program Act;or
  • a person with disabilities who does not receive a disability allowance under the Disability Benefits Program Act, or you are a property owner with a disabled spouse or relative residing permanently with you.

Note: Being a recipient of the Canada Pension Plan disability benefits does not qualify you for the additional grant.

For detailed information on your eligibility, visit the Provincial Government’s Home Owner Grant website.

What is the Grant Threshold?

The Ministry of Finance has announced that the 20120 Home Owner Grant threshold set at $1.525 million, down from $1.65 million in 2019. This means homes must be assessed at less than $1.525 million to receive the full grant. For properties assessed above the threshold, the grant is reduced by $5 for every $1,000 of assessed value in excess of the threshold.

What if a Mortgage Company or Lawyer Paid My Taxes?

If someone else pays your property taxes on your behalf, you may still qualify for the grant.

However, as the property owner, it is your responsibility to:

  • Complete the Home Owner Grant application online or submit the application on your tax notice to City Hall by the due date (not the mortgage company or lawyer).
  • Ensure your mortgage company or lawyer is paying the correct amount of property taxes, minus any grant amount. (Overpayments can be refunded – see below.)
Can I Claim Without Payment?

Yes, you may claim the Home Owner Grant now and pay later. Claiming the grant before the due date will lessen the amount to be penalized. For example, if you owe $1,000 and you claim your grant of $570 before the due date, late penalties would only apply on $430 rather than the full $1,000.

Claim your Home Owner Grant online now.

Can I Apply for Previous Years?


The Provincial Government allows homeowners an extension to claim a grant for the previous year only. To claim a retroactive Home Owner Grant, the owner must

  • Complete and download a fillable online retroactive grant form (pdf) or obtain a form from the Tax Office (see contact info below).
  • Submit the form in the year following the one for which the grant is being applied for, to the Manager of Revenues and Collections (Tax Collector) via fax to 604.927.5401 or mail or delivery to the City of Port Coquitlam Tax Office, 1st Floor, City Hall, 2580 Shaughnessy Street, Port Coquitlam, BC  V3C 2A8.

The retroactive grant application may be approved only if either:

  • Property taxes have been paid in full by the person who owned the property at the time, and the applicant was eligible for the grant on December 31st of the year for which the grant is being applied for; or
  • The property taxes have not been paid, but the applicant was eligible for the grant on December 31st of the year for which the grant is being applied for.

Documentary evidence for proof of residency will be requested.


What if My Name Isn’t on the Notice?


If you are a new owner and your name is not on the tax notice, attach a copy of your Certificate of Title document to the grant application included in the tax notice, and submit it the Port Coquitlam Tax Office before the due date (see contact information below).

Note: It is an offense to make a false application for a home owner grant, subject to a penalty of up to $10,000. Claimants can be audited for up to six years after they claim the grant and will be asked to prove their eligibility.

Can I Claim for a Deceased Owner?

If a spouse or relative of the deceased owner is living at the property, then he/she may claim the grant on behalf of the owner, if the following applies:

  • registered owner passed away during this calendar year
  • applicant is a permanent resident of BC, occupied this residence prior to the death and continues to occupy this residence (proof of residency is required)
  • the residence remains registered in the name of the deceased owner (or estate of deceased owner)
  • a copy of death certificate is attached to application
  • you have not claimed a grant on any other residence in the province for the current year.

Note: If the deceased was eligible for the additional grant during this calendar year, you may apply for the additional grant in the year of death only.

If I Will be Away, Can I Claim Early?

Property tax notices are usually mailed out the week after the Victoria Day weekend. You may claim the grant online when you receive the notice.

If you leave the grant amount owing past the due date, you will be penalized on that amount. You can avoid penalties by paying the full amount owing now, and when you return home, you may claim the grant and request a refund.

You could also have someone else claim the grant for you if they have power of attorney. They will be required to submit a copy of the power of attorney when they apply.

Where Can I Get More Information?


Port Coquitlam Tax Office
Tel  604.927.5425
Email taxes@portcoquitlam.ca

Location and Mailing Address

City Hall, First Floor
2580 Shaughnessy Street
Port Coquitlam BC, V3C 2A8

Business Hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)