Surrounded by gardens, Port Coquitlam’s historic City Hall is a focal point of the downtown area. Residents, businesses and visitors may visit the hall to attend Council meetings, do business with the City and get information about City services. Organized tours are also available to school groups.
Learn About the History of City Hall
The original City Hall was constructed in 1914 under the authority of Bylaw No. 12, passed on May 16, 1913. The original three-storey brick building, which faced McAllister Street, is the portion of City Hall to the left (north) of today’s Shaughnessy Street entrance.
Until the mid 1960s, only the first two floors of the building were occupied. Along with the Municipal Offices, those two floors housed, at various times, library facilities, police offices and a courtroom on the second floor that also served as the Council Chamber. In 1966, a new Council Chamber, Committee Room and Mayor’s Office were constructed on the east half of the third floor and the balance of the floor was used as office space.
The courtroom, police office and lock-up facilities were moved to a separate location in early 1972, and the building’s interior was extensively renovated in late 1972 and early 1973. The building was designated by the Province as a protected heritage site in late 1985.
In 1986, the City initiated an addition to City Hall. Plans were prepared by Toby, Russell, Buckwell Architects, and the contracting firm Double V Construction Limited started work in September 1987.
The reconstruction included a complete renovation of the interior and the addition of a new three-storey building on the south side, including a new public entrance area. Due to the building’s heritage status, a great deal of care was taken to ensure that the appearance of the old building remained intact and that the new construction reinforced and complemented the original design.
Visitors to the third floor may note a seam in the brick wall to the right of Council Chamber entrance, marking where the original City Hall ends and the addition begins.
Virtual Tour of City Hall
City Hall Complex Directory
Main switchboard and general inquiries 604.927.5411
After hours Public Works emergency calls 604.543.6700