You’ll find many things to see and do in Port Coquitlam. Explore our online Community Calendar for additional ideas, events and activities.
PoCo Inn & Suites
1545 Lougheed Highway
Port Coquitlam, BC
Tel 604.941.6216 or 1.800.930.2235
Check out our Events and Attractions page for details about these and other highlights:
- Canada Day Celebrations – Held July 1, this event features a fishing derby for kids and pancake breakfast and ends with an exciting fireworks display. In between there are children’s activities, musical entertainment, dance performances, a salmon barbecue, vendors and displays, and multicultural activities.
- Christmas in Leigh Square – Held in early December, this festive community gathering includes sing-alongs, hot chocolate, cookies, and of course, a special visitor from the North Pole. Countdown with us as we light up City Hall and Leigh Square for the holiday season.
- May Day Festival – Held in early May, the May Day celebrations in Port Coquitlam are an annual family tradition dating back to 1923. Events include a grande parade, a carnival, children’s activities, a community talent showcase and, of course, Maypole dancing.
- Summer in the City –Bring on the heat with Port Coquitlam’s Summer in the City Arts, Culture & Entertainment Festival, a celebration of community arts and entertainment! Features include a weekly farmers market, movies under the stars, art shows and free live performances on outdoor stages.
- Terry Fox Hometown Run – “It’s got to keep going without me” Terry Fox started his cross-country Marathon of Hope in 1980. Thousands of people gather every year in Terry Fox’s hometown of Port Coquitlam, to take part in the annual run in his honour in mid-September.
Carnoustie Golf Course
533 Dominion Avenue
Port Coquitlam, BC
Pro Shop 604.941.5233
Heritage at Leigh Square Museum and Archives
The Heritage at Leigh Square Museum and Archives is operated by the Port Coquitlam Heritage & Cultural Society and features historical photographs, First Nations artifacts, tools, collectables, maps and antiques from Port Coquitlam’s past. For more information and to confirm Display Centre hours, contact 604.927.8403
Leigh Square Community Arts Village
Officially opened in April 2007, the Leigh Square Community Arts Village is a unique and vibrant focus for community activities in the downtown area. Throughout the year, Leigh Square Band Shell hosts a number of community and cultural events such as the May Day Community Showcase, Live @ Leigh Square concert series, Harvest Festival and Christmas in the Park.
(2253 Leigh Square, next to City Hall)
Parks and Trails
The City maintains a total of 266 hectares of parkland and natural areas, as well as 46km of trails, including the 25-km Traboulay PoCo Trail.
Regional and Provincial Parks
There are many regional parks and natural green spaces accessible within short distances of Port Coquitlam:
- Belcarra Regional Park (Belcarra) – a beachside park along Bedwell Bay and Indian Arm with a pier, playground, picnic facilities, fishing, and crabbing and walking trails. It also provides access to Sasamat Lake with its popular White Pine Beach.
- Buntzen Lake (Anmore) – beach area, picnic tables, hiking and walking trails, swimming, and canoeing.
- Colony Farm Regional Park (Port Coquitlam) – lowland marsh wildlife and bird sanctuary with excellent walking trails.
- Golden Ears Provincial Park (Maple Ridge) – trails for the serious hiker and leisure walker, beaches on Alouette Lake, and popular campground.
- Minnekhada Regional Park (Coquitlam) – diverse hiking and walking trails in a wildlife and bird sanctuary.
- Pinecone Burke Provincial Park (accessed through north Coquitlam) – natural hiking trails and world-class mountain biking on Burke Mountain.
Dominion Triangle/Fremont Village (Lougheed Highway between Dominion Avenue and Fremont Street)
Port Coquitlam’s newest retail centre, the Dominion Triangle and Fremont Village contain a variety of large retail and service businesses including Walmart, Save-On-Foods, Costco, Home Depot, Starbucks, Mark’s Work Warehouse, Home Outfitters, and a number of restaurants, coffee shops, car dealerships, business and professional offices and banks.
Downtown Port Coquitlam (Shaughnessy Street & McAllister Avenue)
The downtown features many individual shops, cafes, and restaurants, as well as City Hall and the Provincial Courthouse complete with heritage brick and iron architecture.
PoCo Place Mall (2755 Lougheed Highway)
Located at the northeast corner of Lougheed Highway and Westwood Street, this mall offers a wide range of retail and personal service establishments, including a dry cleaner, hairdresser and salon, bakery, clothing store and medical, dental and professional offices. Major tenants include Michael’s Crafts, SportMart, International House of Pancakes (IHOP), Organice Planet supermarket, TD Canada Trust, Pier One Imports and the five-story HSBC Bank tower.
Prairie Mall ( 1470 Prairie Avenue)
This mall is located in Port Coquitlam’s vibrant northside shopping area, at the intersection of Prairie Avenue and Coast Meridian Road. The tenants include Cooper’s Foods, Busy Bee drycleaning, a hairdresser, a coin laundry service, restaurants, a pet food store, and Starbucks.
Shaughnessy Station Mall (2850 Shaughnessy Street)
Located at the northern end of the Downtown Core, this retail mall development’s tenants include Canada Safeway, Canadian Tire, Earls Restaurant, Rogers Video, McDonald’s Restaurant, Westminster Savings, Van City Savings, Reitmans, fast food restaurants, professional offices and miscellaneous other small shops and services.
Westwood Centre (2748 Lougheed Highway)
Located at the Southeast corner of Lougheed Highway and Westwood Street, this mall features a variety of retail stores including a BC Liquor Store, Rogers Video, Subway, Gulf & Fraser Financial Group, Pennington’s, business services (travel agency, real estate and insurance companies), personal services and restaurants.
Terry Fox Theatre
Location: 1260 Riverwood Gate, Port Coquitlam
The spectacular 350-seat Terry Fox Theatre anchors the north-west corner of the Terry Fox Secondary School and is available as a stand-alone performance venue for community and professional use.
It features a grand entrance, spacious lobby, box office, orchestra pit, balcony seating, full technical capability and one of the largest stages in the Tri-Cities.
For information and rental information, visit the website.
Traboulay PoCo Trail
This 25-kilometre trail encircles the City of Port Coquitlam, traversing a varied landscape that includes forest and creek, meadow and marsh, riverfront and urban development.
The loop of gravel and paved paths offers those on foot, bicycle, skate and even horseback an opportunity to enjoy nature, be active and discover the community. Learn more about the Traboulay PoCo Trail.
Transit – TransLink provides bus service throughout the City and Metro Vancouver, with links to the new SkyTrain stations in nearby Coquitlam. Go to the TransLink website for scheduling and fare information.
West Coast Express – This commuter train will take you from Port Coquitlam in downtown Port Coquitlam (Kingway Avenue and Wilson Avenue) to downtown Vancouver in 36 minutes. For information, visit their website or call 604.683.7245 (RAIL).
Port Coquitlam Taxi – 604.942.8080
Bel Air Taxi – 604.937.3434