Beat the Heat with Port Coquitlam’s Summer in the City Activities
Summer in the City is a great way to discover and enjoy a variety of outdoor activities in the heart of Port Coquitlam.
Events include the Port Coquitlam Farmers Market, Artists-in-Residence Workshops, Art Exhibitions, Hot Summer Nights, Cinema Under the Stars and more. Watch a popular film, buy farm fresh food and say hello to your local neighbours. There’s something for everyone to enjoy this month in August.
- PORT COQUITLAM FARMERS MARKET
The Farmers Market is running every Thursday 3-7 p.m. on Kelly Avenue in the Terry Fox Hometown Square at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre. The Market features locally grown vegetables and fruit, home-made baking and artisan-made goods. Enjoy themes, events and performances for the whole family. Visit portcoquitlam.ca/farmersmarket for more information.
- ARTISTS IN RESIDENCE
Join Lions Park Artist-in-Residence, Kaitlyn Beugh, for free creative workshops exploring art-making with invasive species in the park. Workshops include invasive species walks, eco-printmaking, and drawing the rain garden. All ages welcome – rain or shine. Visit portcoquitlam.ca/air for more information.
Starting Aug. 19, join Artist-in-Residence, Vera Sidorova at the Outlet, for free drawing and painting workshops exploring the colours and techniques used by the Old Masters. Visit portcoquitlam.ca/air for workshop dates and details.
- ART EXHIBITIONS
Stroll through the City’s gallery spaces this summer to take in four new art exhibitions:
- Shelter in Place, a series of large-scale, vibrant paintings of interior spaces and neighbourhoods as experienced during COVID by artist Lacey Jane Wilburn (Michael Wright Art Gallery)
- Inside Euphoria, intimate paintings of interior spaces by Kristy Shandal (Outlet Gallery)
- The Peaceful Places We Seek, paintings and prints of local landscapes by Charlotte Heffelfinger (City Hall Gallery)
- Santorini – a Parable of Planning, Patience and Persistence, photographs capturing the beauty of Santorini, Greece, by photographer Manfred Kraus (Port Coquitlam Community Centre)
Visit portcoquitlam.ca/exhibitions for more information on current and upcoming exhibitions.
- CINEMA UNDER THE STARS
It’s back! An unforgettable Sunday night experience at Cinema Under the Stars! Enjoy a movie for free on an enormous feet tall silver screen at Gates Park. Pack a picnic, bring a blanket, round up some friends or bring the whole family to our outdoor movie night. Sponsored in part by FortisBC.
Sunday Aug. 28, 8:30 p.m. – Gates Park – Spiderman: No Way Home
- HOT SUMMER NIGHTS PROGRAM
Invite Fire crews out to your neighbourhood and talk to local firefighters, receive fire safety information, learn about fire extinguishers, smoke alarms and other topics. Also a great opportunity to check out the rescue vehicles and equipment. Book online at portcoquitlam.ca/fireprogram.
- SHAUGHNESSY POP-UP PARK
Are you a musician or entertainer? Book the Shaughnessy Pop-Up Park stage for free this summer for events that benefit the community, such as live music. Picnic tables in the pop-up park are available for the public’s enjoyment. Book online at portcoquitlam.ca/popup.
Other free or low-cost outdoor activities available to residents this summer include:
- Outdoor tennis and sport courts are open (see the Facilities & Amenities link at portcoquitlam.ca/recreation),
- More than 271 hectares of park and trails open dawn to dusk
- Spray parks and outdoor pools:
- Castle and Sun Valley Parks, and spray features at Lions Park and Port Coquitlam Community Centre (PCCC), open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily
- Centennial, Routley, Sun Valley and Robert Hope Pool. Hours of operation may change by location and can be viewed online at portcoquitlam.ca/outdoorpools.
Mark your calendar for more upcoming events:
- Downtown Port Coquitlam Car Cruise and Show, Aug. 20 and 21
- WHL Hockey Games at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre – Sept. 9 and 10
- McAllister Avenue – Street Party – Sept. 10
- Terry Fox Hometown Run – Sept. 18
Watch the City website and social media channels for updates.
Manager of Communications & Administrative Services
City of Port Coquitlam