Celebrate the New Community Centre with Free BBQ, Skating and Fun
Port Coquitlam is celebrating the opening of its new community centre in style, with a free barbecue, treats, skating, family activities and more planned for Aug. 27.
Set for next Tuesday from 4 to 7 p.m., the event will be a chance to explore the first amenities in the bright, modern 205,000-square-foot (19,000-square-metre) Port Coquitlam Community Centre (PCCC), including two of the three planned ice arenas, Terry Fox Library, Wilson lounge, a kitchen, games room, multi-purpose rooms and a concession. Regular schedules at the PCCC will begin Aug. 28.
“Excitement is building as we’re less than a week away to open our new community centre and we can’t wait for our residents to start using the much-needed services that we will be rolling out over the next few months,” said Mayor Brad West. “Our residents and nearby residents deserve a big thank-you for their patience and support so far. We encourage everyone to come out and celebrate this major project milestone with us on Aug. 27 and to check out this vibrant community we are creating in downtown Port Coquitlam.”
The schedule for the Aug. 27 event includes:
- 4-7 p.m. outside: Community block party with a free barbecue, live entertainment, fire truck, RCMP cruiser, displays and more.
- 4-7 p.m. inside: Tours every 15 minutes, full library services, free coffee and cookies in Wilson Lounge, free ice cream at the concession, and activities for children, youth and seniors in various spaces.
- 5 p.m. in the lobby: Opening remarks, plaque unveiling and ribbon cutting.
- 5:30-7 p.m. in Arena 3: First skate by Mayor, Council and winners of the First to Skate contest winners, followed by free public skating until 7 p.m.
- 6-7 p.m. in Arena 2: Exhibition hockey game: Fire vs. RCMP.
Entry to the celebration will be from the Wilson Avenue. Event-goers are encouraged to walk, cycle, take transit or carpool as parking in the area is limited.
Groundbreaking and construction of the PCCC began in 2017. To be completed at the end of 2021, the project is replacing aging recreation and library spaces with new and enhanced services to meet the growing community’s needs. A phased approach has allowed existing amenities to remain open until they are replaced.
A leisure pool and fitness centre will open by early 2020, rounding out Phase 1. Phase 2 includes a third ice arena, gymnasium, children’s area, more multi-purpose spaces, underground parking and outdoor plazas and sport courts.
The PCCC is envisioned as a place where residents will gather and socialize, watch and participate in activities, and access a variety of services.
– 30 –
Manager of Communications & Admin Services
City of Port Coquitlam
Tel 604.927.5335 Cel 604.218.0533