City-Wide Garage Sale Is Back Apr. 23
Spring is almost here and Port Coquitlam residents who are cleaning out their closets can find a new home for their unwanted items by taking part in the City-wide garage sale on April 23.
Held to coincide with Earth Week, this is Port Coquitlam’s 13th annual community garage sale as part of the City’s ongoing efforts to reduce what is sent to the landfill.
Participants dispose of their unwanted items in an earth-friendly way, while benefiting from the additional bargain hunters drawn out by the large number of garage sales. In 2019, over 100 households signed up.
To participate, Port Coquitlam residents plan a garage sale at their home on April 23 from at least 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., and register online by April 12 at portcoquitlam.ca/garagesale.
The City will once again be offering up space in the parking lot at Gates Park on Reeve Street between Atkins Avenue and Kelly Avenue. This will allow Port Coquitlam residents living in a multi-residential building that may not have the space or are not permitted to hold a garage sale to sell their items. Space is limited and residents are required to sign up in advance. Residents who sign up for this space are responsible for their own belongings, set up, take down and clean up.
Participants who register by the April 12 deadline will get free advertising for their sale in the Tri-City newspaper prior to the event, as well as on the garage sale webpage at
All participants will be responsible for packing up any unsold items, similar to any regular garage sale. The City will not be picking up unsold items, and instead encourages participants to use the City’s large item pick-up program at portcoquitlam.ca/largeitem or donate leftover items to charity.
Several area charities accept donations of household items and clothing (please phone ahead regarding larger items):
- Salvation Army Thrift Store, 2850 Shaughnessy St., Port Coquitlam: 604-461-0288
- Share Family & Community Services Society Thrift Store, 2404 St. John’s St., Port Moody: 604-931-5510
- Value Village, 2739 Barnet Hwy, Coquitlam: 604-464-9179
Tips for hosting a successful garage sale:
- Put up signs around your neighbourhood to guide shoppers to your home. Download a sign at portcoquitlam.ca/garagesale
- Be prepared with change for guests who arrive with only $20 bills in hand.
- Encourage neighbours on your street or complex to host garage sales at the same time.
- Price items in advance to maximize sales opportunities if many visitors arrive at once. Garage sale pricing usually starts at about one-third of the item value when new.
- Recruit sale helpers to provide extra security and assistance.
- Have clean bags, newspapers and boxes on hand for carrying away purchases
Tips for garage sale shoppers:
- If you’re an early bird, respect the host’s decision to begin the sale at the posted time.
- Bring small bills and change for small purchases.
- Drive carefully on neighbourhood streets and watch for pedestrians and animals.
- Be respectful – don’t trample gardens, block driveways or double park.
Visit the website portcoquitlam.ca/garagesale for more tips for garage sale hosts and shoppers, as well as recycling and re-use information, large item pick-up and addresses of registered garage sales.
Inquiries about the City-wide Garage Sale can be directed to 604-927-5315 or
Manager of Communications & Administrative Services
City of Port Coquitlam