Find Treasures In City Wide Garage Sale This Weekend
Treasure-hunters will have over 160 garage sales to choose from this Saturday Apr. 22 during Port Coquitlam’s annual City-wide Garage Sale.
The 13th annual event is being held to coincide with Earth Week and Earth Day, as part of the City’s ongoing efforts to encourage the recycling and re-use of unwanted but still usable household items and to reduce what is sent to the landfill.
The City Wide Garage sale officially runs from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on April 22 at a variety of Port Coquitlam locations and at the parking lot at Gates Park on Reeve Street between Atkins Avenue and Kelly Avenue. List of garage sale addresses and a map are posted at portcoquitlam.ca/garagesale.
All participants will be responsible for packing up any unsold items, similar to any regular garage sale. The City will not be picking up unsold items, and instead encourages participants to use the City’s large item pick-up program at portcoquitlam.ca/largeitem or donate leftover items to charity.
Tips for hosting a successful garage sale:
- Put up signs around your neighbourhood to guide shoppers to your home. Download a sign at portcoquitlam.ca/garagesale
- Be prepared with change for guests who arrive with only $20 bills in hand.
- Encourage neighbours on your street or complex to host garage sales at the same time.
- Price items in advance to maximize sales opportunities if many visitors arrive at once. Garage sale pricing usually starts at about one-third of the item value when new.
- Recruit sale helpers to provide extra security and assistance.
- Have clean bags, newspapers and boxes on hand for carrying away purchases
- If you’re an early bird, respect the host’s decision to begin the sale at the posted time.
- Bring small bills and change for small purchases.
- Drive carefully on neighbourhood streets and watch for pedestrians and animals.
- Be respectful – don’t trample gardens, block driveways or double park.
Visit the website portcoquitlam.ca/garagesale for more tips for garage sale hosts and shoppers, as well as recycling and re-use information, large item pick-up program and addresses of registered garage sales.
Manager of Communications & Administrative Services
City of Port Coquitlam