Get Active For Family Day and Stay Active This Winter
Port Coquitlam residents looking for safe ways to be active for Family Day on February 15 can sign up for the activities the City has planned. All programs have appropriate COVID-19 safety protocols and physical distancing measures in place.
Family Day activities include:
Free swimming– Families can pre-register for free swims taking place at the Hyde Creek Recreation Centre from 1-2:00 p.m., 2:15-3:15 p.m. or 3:30-4:30 p.m.
Free skating and rentals – Families can pre-register for free skating sessions taking place at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre from 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m., 1:15-2:15 p.m., 2:45-3:45 p.m.
Weight Room at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre will also be open for pre-registered sessions from 9:00 a.m to 1:00 p.m.
Funding for the Family Day activities is provided by the Province of BC and the BC Recreation and Parks Association.
The following programs are also available to help residents stay healthy over the winter.
- Public Skating programs and lessons – pre-register seven days in advance. Schedule: portcoquitlam.ca/skating.
- Swimming lessons at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre are available for all ages. Parent or guardian participation is required for preschool and swim kids 1- 4 levels. Schedule: portcoquitlam.ca/swimming.
- Low intensity fitness classes – pre-register for low intensity fitness classes including yoga and aquafit. See schedule at portcoquitlam.ca/fitness. Pre-registered bookings are also available at the weight room at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre.
Advance registration and payment is required for all programs at portcoquitlam.ca/register.
One City pass holders can now reinstate their passes for pre-registered activities by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 604-927-7529. Passes will remain on hold during the pandemic unless the passholder requests reinstatement.
Financial Assistance Program
The City offers a variety of supports and resources to ensure that all residents have the opportunity to participate in recreation progams. More information about fees, resources and financial assistance is available at portcoquitlam.ca/recfees.
Protecting Public Health
Strict adherence to public health directives is in effect at all facilities. Measures include:
- Registered access only and limited participant numbers for lessons, programs and activities to ensure safe distancing.
- Hand sanitizing stations.
- Signs, physical barriers, floor markings and one-way traffic to ensure physical distancing and to direct traffic flow.
- One-way entrance and exit to and from facilities.
- Masks are to be worn by everyone 12 yrs and up, at all times as mandated by the Public Health Officer. Children ages 3 to 11 yrs are encouraged to wear masks.
- Enhanced cleaning, particularly of common touchpoints such as door handles and countertops.
The city’s reopening plans will be scaled back or changed as necessary to ensure public health and comply with orders from the Provincial Health Officer.
For information about the City`s response to the COVID-19 pandemic and links to public health resources are available at portcoquitlam.ca/covid19 or follow the City of Port Coquitlam on social media.
Manager of Communications & Admin Services
City of Port Coquitlam
Tel 604.927.5335 Cel 604.218.0533