Kick Off the Holiday Season in Port Coquitlam Nov. 24 and 25
Port Coquitlam’s Winter in the City celebrations kick off on November 24 and 25 with Christmas in Leigh Square.
Families can shop local for the holidays at the Winter Artisan Market, take part in the official lighting of Leigh Square ceremony, holiday craft making, music and entertainment as well as get their photo taken with Santa.
Event Schedule and Details:
Fri. Nov. 24, 12-8pm – Winter Artisan Market – Looking for gifts for loved ones? Local vendors will offer handmade treasures, quality art, fine crafts and edibles. Bring out the whole family to take part in craft making and fun activities. Admission is free. Info: pocochristmasfair.com.
Sat. Nov. 25 – Lighting of Leigh Square and Winter Artisan Market
- 9-11am – Come out for a pancake breakfast served by the 4th PoCo Scouts.
- 10am-6pm – Winter Artisan Market continues.
- 1-4:30pm – Street hockey in Leigh Square: All ages and skill levels are welcome to come play traditional Canadian street hockey. Hockey sticks and proper attire required.
- 12-4:00pm – Photos with Santa at the Outlet – cash donation (courtesy of PoCo Heritage).
- 3pm – Holiday Storytime at the Outlet (courtesy of Terry Fox Library)
- Live entertainment:
- 1:30-3pm – Beauty Shop Dolls: A vocal harmony group with a charming, colourful take on the swinging classics to fun retro arrangements of today’s best music. These dolls know how to woo any crowd.
- 2pm – Silver Chord Choir: Get in the holiday spirit with this local choir, which regularly performs throughout the community.
- 3:30 – 4:45pm – Phat Santa Swing: Playing traditional Christmas carols to popular Christmas songs that you know and love.
- 1-5pm – Hot chocolate and treats outdoors by the bandshell (courtesy of the Port Coquitlam Business Improvement Association)
- 4:45 pm – Lighting ceremony at the bandshell: Come together and light up Leigh Square and City Hall.
- 1-6 pm – Food trucks: This Little Piggy (pulled pork), Taste of Malaysia, Hugs by Mollies Minis (mini donuts)
The weekend also kicks off the PoCo Heritage Christmas Tree Festival which runs from Sat. Nov. 25 to Sun. Dec. 31 and invites the public to vote for their favourite tree. More info is available at pocoheritage.org.
Below is a full schedule of additional holiday events taking place in Port Coquitlam. Donations for the SHARE food bank will be accepted at all activities and events.
Fri. Dec. 1, 10:15-11:15pm – Youth Late Night Skate: PoCo Rec Complex. Dress in your ugly holiday sweater, lace up your skates and enjoy time with friends in this fun and drop-in program. Admission is $3 including skate/helmet rentals, or free with Youth Access Card.
Fri. Dec. 8, 5-7pm – Holiday Turkey Dinner: Hyde Creek Recreation Centre. Register at www.experienceit.ca (22441) or 604-927-7529. Children and youth $3, Adults $5.
Sat. Dec. 9, 9-11:30am – Breakfast with Santa at Wilson Centre. Enjoy breakfast followed by a visit with Santa and entertainment for the kids. Register at: www.experienceit.ca (23509) or 604-927-PLAY. Admission is $10 (free for children under age three).
Sun. Dec. 17, 6pm – Canadian Pacific Railway Holiday Train rolls into the West Coast Express Station marking the end of its cross-country journey with performances by Alan Doyle and the Beautiful Band.
Sun. Dec 17, 1:15-3:45pm – Skate with Santa: at the PoCo Rec Complex. Come skate with Santa and his helpers, and then enjoy free hot chocolate and holiday treats!
Sun. Dec 24, 11am-12:30pm & 12:45-2pm – Christmas Eve Day Skate: at the PoCo Rec Complex. Drop in with friends and family to enjoy a festive skate and warm up with a free cup of hot chocolate!
Sun. Dec 31, 12:30-2pm and 2:15-3:45pm – New Year’s Eve Day Skate: at the PoCo Rec Complex. Enjoy the last afternoon of 2017 skating with family and friends!
Throughout December – Holiday-themed activities: Port Coquitlam is offering a number of holiday-themed art camps, workshops and activities requiring pre-registration. Call 604-927-PLAY for information, or go to www.experienceit.ca and locate the activity by name. A listing of additional public skating and drop-in hockey times are also available at www.portcoquitlam.ca/publicskate.
For more information, visit www.portcoquitlam.ca/christmas.
Manager of Cultural Development and Community Services
City of Port Coquitlam