Kick Off the Holiday Season in Port Coquitlam Nov. 23 and 24.
Port Coquitlam’s Winter in the City celebrations kick off on November 23 and 24 with Christmas in Leigh Square.
Families can shop local for the holidays at the Winter Artisan Market, take part in the official lighting of Leigh Square ceremony, holiday craft making, facepainting, music and entertainment as well as get their photo taken with Santa.
Event Schedule and Details:
Fri. Nov. 23, 4-8 pm – Winter Artisan Market – Looking for gifts for loved ones? Local vendors will offer handmade treasures, quality art, fine crafts, gingerbread decorating, fresh crepes and other edibles. The event kicks off with a live performance by the Felice Choir at 4pm followed by gingerbread decorating and holiday story time. Bring out the whole family to take part.
Admission is free. Info: pocochristmasfair.com.
Sat. Nov. 24, 10 am-6 pm – Christmas in Leigh Square and Winter Artisan Market
- 10 am-6 pm – Winter Artisan Market continues, gingerbread decorating holiday craft, food trucks and PoCo Heritage Holiday Bake Sale
- 12-4 pm – Photos with Santa at the Outlet – by cash donation (courtesy of PoCo Heritage) and Facepainting
- Live seasonal entertainment:
- 1pm – Scrooge Horns – a premier sax trio to fill the square with funky holiday music.
- 2:15pm – Silver Chord Choir: a local choir who will bring out the holiday sprit
- 3:00 – 4:45pm – Beauty Shop Dolls: a vocal harmony group who will woo the crowd with a charming, colourful take on the swinging classics to fun retro arrangements.
- 1-5 pm – Hot chocolate and treats outdoors by the bandshell (courtesy of the Port Coquitlam Business Improvement Association)
- 4:45 pm – Lighting ceremony at the bandshell: Come together and light up Leigh Square and City Hall.
The weekend also kicks off the 6th Annual PoCo Heritage Christmas Tree Festival inviting the public to vote for their favourite tree. The Festival runs from Sat. Nov. 24 and runs till Dec 31 with a wrap-up and awards party on Jan 5th at 1pm. More info is available at pocoheritage.org.
The festivities continue with the Canadian Pacific Railway Holiday Train rolling into Port Coquitlam on Tuesday, Dec. 18, (7pm arrival, 7:15-7:45pm show). The Port Coquitlam stop at the West Coast Express Station marks the end of the train’s 20th anniversary cross-country journey with performances by Sam Roberts Band, Kelly Prescott and Tracey Brown.
Additional holiday events
Fri. Dec. 7, 10:15-11:15pm – Youth Late Night Skate: PoCo Rec Complex. Dress in your ugly holiday sweater, lace up your skates and enjoy time with friends in this fun and drop-in program. Admission is $3 including skate/helmet rentals, or free with Youth Access Card.
Fri. Dec. 14, 6-8pm – Holiday Turkey Dinner: Hyde Creek Recreation Centre. Register at experienceit.ca (30277) or 604-927-7529. Children and youth $3, Adults $5.
Sat. Dec. 15, 9-11:30am – Breakfast with Santa at Wilson Centre. Enjoy breakfast followed by a visit with Santa and entertainment for the kids. Register at: experienceit.ca (23509) or 604-927-PLAY. Admission is $10 (free for children under age three).
Sun. Dec. 16, 1:15-3:45pm – Skate with Santa: at the PoCo Rec Complex. Come skate with Santa and his helpers, and then enjoy free hot chocolate and holiday treats!
Mon. Dec 24, 10am-11:30am for 4-12yrs, 11:45am-1:15pm for everyone. Christmas Eve Day Skate at the PoCo Rec Complex: Drop in with friends and family to enjoy a festive skate and warm up with a free cup of hot chocolate. Join supervised time off the ice to practice your stick and puck skills! $4/person
Mon. Dec 31, 1pm-2:30pm for 4-12yrs, 2:45pm-4:15pm for everyone. New Year’s Eve Day Skate at the PoCo Rec Complex. Join supervised time off the ice to practice your stick and puck skills! $4/person
Donations for the SHARE food bank will be accepted at all activities and events.
For more information, visit www.portcoquitlam.ca/christmas.
Manager of Cultural Development
and Community Services
City of Port Coquitlam