MEDIA RELEASE: Join Port Coquitlam In Celebrating Grads
PORT COQUITLAM, BC, June 9, 2021. . . Port Coquitlam is celebrating the class of 2021 by proclaiming June 14 to 20 as Grad Week, lighting up City Hall in school colours and providing Congrats Grad 2021 photo backdrops in City parks.
“We offer our heartfelt congratulations to the class of 2021,” said Mayor Brad West. “We are proud of you, and feel for you that you’re missing out on some of the traditional ceremonies and celebrations. I encourage you to mark this important milestone as safely as you can. We wish you the best as you begin an exciting new chapter, and we encourage the community to join us in recognizing our local grads.”
In addition to the proclamation issued by City Council, the City is celebrating graduating students by:
- Posting a congratulatory message in the Tri-City News and on City-owned transit shelters, the underpass on Shaughnessy Street and digital billboards starting this week.
- Lighting up City Hall in each of the five secondary school colours (Terry Fox Secondary, Riverside Secondary, Archbishop Carney, École des Pionniers and BC Christian Academy) during the week of June 14.
- Posting a video message from Mayor and Council on the City’s social media channels.
- Encouraging residents to post congratulatory messages on their social media using #pocograd2021 and a “Port Coquitlam 2021 Grad” Facebook profile photo frame.
- Providing downloadable Congrats Grad 2021 signs for residents and businesses to post at portcoquitlam.ca/grad21
- Sharing congratulatory messages from Mayors, City Council and School Trustees.
While all City parks and trails are available for graduates to take photos, Congrats Grad 2021 photo backdrops will be placed in the following locations:
- Blakeburn Lagoons Park (2900-blk Elbow Pl.)
- Lions Park (2300 Lions Way)
- Castle Park (2252 Castle Cres.)
“I encourage our local grads to come out and celebrate their graduations in the natural beauty of our community,” added Cllr. Nancy McCurrach, the Council designate for arts, culture and heritage. “We can’t wait to see the great things you accomplish in the coming years.”
The full proclamation can be viewed at portcoquitlam.ca/councilmeetings.
– 30 –
Manager of Communications & Admin Services
City of Port Coquitlam
Tel 604.927.5335 Cel 604.218.0533