More Nominations Needed for Volunteer Awards
Manager, Communications and Administrative Services
City of Port Coquitlam
Time is running out for nominations for the Port Coquitlam Volunteer Recognition Awards, the city’s annual tribute to its hard-working volunteers.
Nominations can be made online at www.portcoquitlam.ca/volunteerawards until Mar. 6 in one of seven categories: Arts, Heritage & Cultural Awareness; Caring & Safety; Environmental Protection & Enhancement; Sports & Recreation; Youth Programs; U21 (youth under age 21); and Lifetime Volunteer. More nominations are sought in all categories, but particularly in Environmental Protection & Enhancement.
All volunteers who are nominated will receive special treatment from the city, including a commemorative pin and two tickets to the Volunteer Recognition Awards and Tribute event, an invitation-only night of fun, food and entertainment held on April 20 during National Volunteer Week.
Those who win awards in their categories will also receive a personalized etched glass award and have their names added to the volunteer honour roll at City Hall.
This year’s theme for the awards is Volunteers Help Us Soar, recognizing that the hard work and dedication of volunteers helps the community become a better place and soar to new heights.
The Port Coquitlam Volunteer Recognition Awards have honoured 123 recipients and hundreds more nominees since their launch in 1997. The 2018 awards are sponsored by Fortis BC, which has supported the awards for 20 years.
The city will accept both new nominations or updated versions of former nominations if the volunteer is still active.
Nominees can be any age and do not have to live in Port Coquitlam. They cannot have previously received a Volunteer Recognition Award from the city, and must meet at least one of these criteria:
- their unpaid volunteer contributions provide extraordinary help or care to families or groups in Port Coquitlam,
- they continually commit their time, talent and energy, without pay, to improve the quality of life in Port Coquitlam, or
- they have been voluntarily involved in a program or project that has had a lasting benefit for Port Coquitlam and its residents.
How to make a nomination count:
- Take the time to coordinate supporting materials to add to the details on the nomination form. The online nomination form includes ideas about what to include.
- The awards are intended for individuals – nominations for couples will not be considered.
- Visit the Volunteer Recognition Awards page at www.portcoquitlam.ca/volunteerawards for more information and the online nomination form.
Complete details and past award winners can be viewed at www.portcoquitlam.ca/volunteerawards. Questions may be directed to 604.927.5410 or firstname.lastname@example.org