OUTDOOR FITNESS CLASSES START JULY 6 IN PORT COQUITLAM
Port Coquitlam, BC, July 2, 2020. . . Fitness enthusiasts will soon have more options to exercise, with outdoor fitness classes starting in Port Coquitlam on July 6.
In line with B.C.’s Restart Plan, the city is offering a selection of $5 registered fitness classes in local parks and sport fields where physical distancing can be maintained, including boot camps, High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and seniors low-impact classes.
Registration will open Friday, July 3 for the first week and then each Wednesday for classes taking place the following week.
“Safety is always our top priority and we are happy to offer these outdoor classes to our residents to help them stay healthy and active in a safe space over the summer months,” said Mayor Brad West. “We also encourage everyone to continue to get outdoors and make use of all our beautiful natural amenities from parks, sports fields to trails.”
All classes will take place outdoors rain or shine, and follow strict health protocols and physical distancing to ensure the safety of staff and residents and help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
“Local health authorities have advised that the outdoors is one of the safest places to exercise, so we are looking forward to seeing some of our residents enjoying these activities,” said Councillor Steve Darling, Council’s designate for sports and recreation.
No drop-ins will be permitted. All classes will require advance payment and registration to reduce touchpoints and ensure safe distancing.
- Register online at www.portcoquitlam.ca/register. Each class costs $5.
- Classes may be booked one week at a time on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Registration will begin at midnight each Wednesday for classes held the following week.
- Fitness schedules will be posted at portcoquitlam.ca/fitness and will be updated weekly.
- Drop-in attendance is not permitted.
- Fitness memberships will not be accepted as payment at this time.
- No refunds will be issued unless the city cancels or changes the class.
Public Health Will Remain the Priority
The following safety protocols will be in place for participants.
- Each class will have a maximum of 15 participants with their own designated area.
- Participants will be required to bring their water bottle, and if desired their own fitness or yoga mat and towel. There will be no shared equipment or access to City equipment.
- Each location has washrooms nearby and hand washing before and after class is encouraged.
- Participants will be asked to answer health screening questions prior to exercising.
- Participants are required to stay home if feeling sick – with no exceptions.
The following registered classes will run rain or shine. The schedule is subject to change. Check www.portcoquitlam.ca/fitness for the latest schedule, information or to register.
- Mondays – Seniors Fitness at Gates Park from 9-10 a.m. Instructor Raquel
- Tuesdays – Boot camp at Aggie Park from 7-8 p.m. Instructor Kirsti
- Wednesdays – Boot camp at Gates Park from 9-10 a.m. Instructor Leslie/Kirsti
- Thursdays – HIIT at Aggie Park from 7-8 p.m. Instructor Kirsti
- Fridays – Seniors Fitness at Gates Park from 9-10 a.m. Instructor Raquel
At this time, there is no set timeline for the reopening of additional recreation facilities.
Many city services continue to be available by phone, email and online. For information, visit www.portcoquitlam.ca/covid19 or follow the City of Port Coquitlam on social media.
For all health-related concerns, the public is advised to call 811, the Government of Canada novel coronavirus telephone information line a: 1-833-784-4397, or to contact their health-care provider or local public health office.
For recommendations on protecting yourself and your community from COVID-19, and to use the online self-assessment tool, visit BC Centre for Disease Control at www.bccdc.ca.
For more information and updates please contact the following resources:
- Fraser Health Authority – fraserhealth.ca
- Public Health Agency of Canada – canada.ca/publichealth
– 30 –
Manager of Communications & Admin Services
City of Port Coquitlam
Tel 604.927.5335 Cel 604.218.0533