PORT COQUITLAM PROCLAIMS JUNE 14 TO 20 GRAD WEEK
Port Coquitlam, BC, June 10, 2020. . . Port Coquitlam is proclaiming June 14 to 20 as Grad Week to support and recognize the class of 2020, which is missing out on its traditional ceremonies and celebrations due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“High school graduation marks an important time in the lives of many young people,” said Mayor Brad West. “I am impressed by the way youth in our community have responded to this unique situation and shown such resiliency. Heartfelt congratulations to the class of 2020. We are proud of you and wish you the best as you begin an exciting new chapter.”
In addition to the proclamation issued by City Council, the city is supporting requests from local parents to recognize the graduating students by:
- Posting a congratulatory message on city-owned transit shelters, the underpass on Shaughnessy Street and digital billboards starting this week.
- Lighting up City Hall in each of the four secondary school colours (Terry Fox Secondary, Riverside Secondary, Archbishop Carney and École des Pionniers) during the week of June 15.
- Encouraging local businesses to display “Congrats 2020 Grads!” signs in their windows and on social media, as well as offer local grads special deals.
- Encouraging residents to support the special cheer for 2020 grads at 8:20 p.m. on June 20.
- Posting a video message from Mayor Brad West on the city’s social media channels.
- Encouraging residents to post congratulatory messages on their social media using #pocograd2020.
“Port Coquitlam is known for coming together during tough times,” added Councillor Nancy McCurrach, the Council designate for arts, culture and heritage. “Let’s show our PoCo pride and community spirit as we come together to cheer for our local grads and support them through this special time.”
The full proclamation can be viewed at www.portcoquitlam.ca/councilmeetings.
Many city services continue to be available by phone, email and online. For information, visit www.portcoquitlam.ca/covid19 or follow the City of Port Coquitlam on social media.
For all health-related concerns, the public is advised to call 811, the Government of Canada novel coronavirus telephone information line a: 1-833-784-4397, or to contact their health-care provider or local public health office.
For recommendations on protecting yourself and your community from COVID-19, and to use the online self-assessment tool, visit BC Centre for Disease Control at www.bccdc.ca.
For more information and updates please contact the following resources:
- Fraser Health Authority – fraserhealth.ca
- Public Health Agency of Canada – canada.ca/publichealth
– 30 –
Manager of Communications & Admin Services
City of Port Coquitlam
Tel 604.927.5335 Cel 604.218.0533