Port Coquitlam Suspends Indoor Group Activities
Port Coquitlam, BC – Nov. 9, 2020…To comply with the Provincial Health Officer (PHO) order issued Saturday, the City of Port Coquitlam has suspended all indoor group fitness and temporarily closed City Hall for two weeks while continuing to provide some recreation services where physical distancing can be maintained.
The PHO orders, intended to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus, target the Fraser Health and Vancouver Coast Health regions and are in effect until Nov. 23.
“The numbers over the last few days are alarming and very concerning,” said Mayor Brad West. “I am calling on our community to do their part and follow all health orders. This will significantly help in slowing the spread of the virus so we can all have better days ahead. Together we will get through this.”
Effective immediately, the following is in effect until Nov. 23:
- No group fitness classes, including Aquafit at Hyde Creek, and spinning, yoga and dance classes at PCCC.
- No indoor games and competitions where physical distance cannot be maintained. The city is working with sport user groups and provincial sport organizations to determine what activities can safely continue, such as individual exercise, practice and drills.
- No spectators at indoor or outdoor sports. The outdoor bleachers at the two turf fields will be closed to discourage spectators.
- City Hall is closed, with in-person services by appointment only. See portcoquitlam.ca/covid19 for service and payment options.
- Council meetings will be held electronically and in person. Meeting recordings will be posted to portcoquitlam.ca/council within 48 hours.
All staff and users entering city facilities will be required to undertake a health screening check daily, as ordered by the PHO, that involves answering a series of health questions. City staff will be encouraged to work remotely where feasible.
The following activities will continue until further notice, with existing COVID protocols:
- Pre-registered weight room and skating timeslots at the PCCC.
- Swimming timeslots and lessons, programs and services at Hyde Creek pool.
- Terry Fox Library at PCCC remains open. Customers can call 604-927-7999 if they have any questions about borrowed items or their account.
- All business and development services, including pre-booked appointments at the City Hall Annex. Please see portcoquitlam.ca/bizhub for service options.
City staff have notified all impacted users and organizations about the suspension in programming. Notices will also be posted on the city’s website and distributed through social media.
Full refunds will be provided for activities or rentals affected by the closures. Anyone with questions about a city recreation program can contact email@example.com or 604-927-7529.
Essential services also continue to be provided, including fire and police protection, water and sewer services, garbage collection and critical infrastructure maintenance and operations.
Protecting Public Health
Strict adherence to public health directives remains in effect at all opened facilities. Measures include:
- Registered access only permitted for programs not impacted by the new order.
- Hand sanitizing stations.
- Signs, physical barriers, floor markings and one-way traffic to ensure physical distancing.
- One-way entrance and exit to and from facilities.
- Masks worn by all staff and visitors when moving or when physical distancing cannot be maintained.
- Enhanced cleaning, particularly of common touchpoints such as door handles and countertops.
Port Coquitlam is actively monitoring updates from health authorities and will take further action as directed to protect the safety of residents.
Many city services continue to be available by phone, email and online. Problems can be reported to portcoquitlam.ca/report. For information about other services, visit portcoquitlam.ca/covid19 or follow the City of Port Coquitlam on social media.
For all health-related concerns, the public is advised to call 811 or use the BC Centre for Disease Control online self-assessment tool bccdc.ca.
– 30 –
Manager of Communications & Admin Services
City of Port Coquitlam
Tel 604.927.5335 Cel 604.218.0533