PSA: Fall Program Registration Starts July 27
With COVID-19 restrictions lifting, Port Coquitlam residents will be able to take advantage of increased opportunities for recreation, sport, fitness, and arts programming this fall. Many registered and drop-in programs will resume in September, with additional programs added in the fall.
Registration for programs starting in September will open at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, July 27, and Friday, July 30 for the general public. For programs opening later in the fall, a second registration session will open at 8 a.m. Tuesday, September 14 for residents and Friday, September 17 for the general public.
See below for highlights of new and returning programs. For detailed program information and to register on-line, visit portcoquitlam.ca/register.
Early learning and preschool:
- Childminding at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre and Port Coquitlam Community Centre.
- Parent Participation Programs: Playmania, Ready, Set, Go, Hand in Hand and Mini Music Makers with some evening classes at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre and Port Coquitlam Community Centre; Baby Art Lab and Parent and Tot Tactile Arts at The Outlet in Leigh Square.
- Music Pups at The Outlet in Leigh Square.
- Playschool Outside at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre.
- Preschool sports and general interest programs at Hyde Creek and Port Coquitlam Community Centre.
Children ages 5 – 12:
- Afterschool Active at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre and Port Coquitlam Community Centre
- Paper Innovations & Swim at Port Coquitlam Community Centre
- Swim, Play, Pizza on Friday nights at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre (starting in October).
- Arts programs, including Art All Ways, Drawing Creatures, Cool Clay, Explore Quilting, and Family Imagination Studio at the Outlet in Leigh Square.
- ProD Day Camps available September 24 and October 22 at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre and the Outlet in Leigh Square.
- Visit portcoquitlam.ca/children for more information.
Youth ages 11-18:
- Registered Youth After School Active and Social Drop-ins at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre and Port Coquitlam Community Centre.
- Arts programs, including Youth Poetry workshops at The Outlet in Leigh Square and Performance Creation at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre.
- Youth Access Card (YAC) available for purchase online, $15 per year (free access to Social and Youth drop-ins).
- Visit pocoyouth.com for more information.
Arts and Culture Programs for Adults
- In-person arts programs are returning to Leigh Square, including wood carving, clay, and mixed media, as well as free sewing drop-ins with the City’s fall Artist-in-Residence, Jennie Johnston.
- Free Culture Days programs, including Get Hooked by Rug Hooking with artist Nadine Flagel in the Michael Wright Art Gallery in Leigh Square.
- Visit portcoquitlam.ca/arts for more details.
- Centennial outdoor pool will remain open through to September with a selection of swim lessons, aquafit classes, length swimming, public swims and rentals.
- A variety of swim lessons will be available at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre including preschool, Swim Kids, Aquafit classes and Advanced Aquatics. See portcoquitlam.ca/swimming for details.
- Summer public skates will be offered August 16 – September 3 at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre. Learn-to-skate lessons will begin mid-October. Information on fall public skating will be available in September at portcoquitlam.ca/skating.
- A variety of indoor fitness classes and weight room available at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre. Spin classes available at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre with the weight room gradually reopening in mid-August. Outdoor fitness continues at Aggie Park. See portcoquitlam.ca/fitness for details.
- Racquetball and squash courts gradually reopening with drop-in and registered sports at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre and Port Coquitlam Community Centre. Visit portcoquitlam.ca/register for more information.
Financial Assistance and Support:
The City offers a variety of supports and resources to ensure that all residents have the opportunity to get involved in recreation programs. Eligible families can receive a 75% discount on activities through our Financial Assistance Program. Families can also apply for an Individual Child Grant through Canadian Tire’s Jumpstart Program. Our Leisure Buddy Program offers 1:1 volunteer support for children in registered activities. Learn more at portcoquitlam.ca/financialassistance.
General Guidelines for Registered Program Access
(full details available at portcoquitlam.ca/recreation – Know Before You Go)
- All participants are required to set up an account at portcoquitlam.ca/register.
- All participants (all ages) must pre-register for all activities.
- Participants may withdraw from their session on-line up to 48 hours in advance with no penalty. If you require support, you can call 604.927.7529 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Protecting Public Health
- Masks are no longer required indoors; they continue to be recommended for those age 12 and older who are not fully vaccinated.
- Cleaning will continue in-line with guidance from the Provincial Health Officer.
- Facilities and amenities that have been closed will begin to gradually reopen, with fewer restrictions to movement and access while maintaining physical distance when possible.
The community’s patience is appreciated as staff continue to work to refine procedures for a safe reintroduction of more services.
All City reopening plans may be adjusted to reflect any new guidance from the Provincial Health Officer. Details posted at portcoquitlam.ca/restart.
Acting Manager of Communications
City of Port Coquitlam