Recognize Special Port Coquitlam Volunteers With A Nomination
Each year, thousands of volunteers in Port Coquitlam work selflessly to improve their community. And each year, the community has a chance to repay the favour with a nomination to the city’s Volunteer Recognition Awards.
Nominations for the 2018 awards can be made at www.portcoquitlam.ca/volunteerawards until Mar. 6 in seven categories: Arts, Heritage & Cultural Awareness; Caring & Safety; Environmental Protection & Enhancement; Sports & Recreation; Youth Programs; U21 (youth under age 21); and Lifetime Volunteer.
This year’s awards theme is Volunteers Help Us Soar, recognizing that the hard work and dedication of volunteers helps the community become a better place and soar to new heights.
All volunteers who are nominated will receive special treatment from the city – whether or not they win an award. All nominees receive a commemorative pin and two tickets to the Volunteer Recognition Awards and Tribute event, an invitation-only night of fun, food and entertainment held during National Volunteer Week in April and sponsored by Fortis BC.
Winners in their categories will also receive a personalized etched glass award and have their names added to the volunteer honour roll at City Hall.
The Port Coquitlam Volunteer Recognition Awards have honoured 123 recipients and hundreds more nominees since their launch in 1997. Fortis BC has supported the awards for 20 years.
The city will accept both new nominations or updated versions of past nominations.
Nominees can be any age and do not have to live in Port Coquitlam. They cannot have previously received a Volunteer Recognition Award from the city, and must meet at least one of these criteria:
- their unpaid volunteer contributions provide extraordinary help or care to families or groups in Port Coquitlam,
- they continually commit their time, talent and energy, without pay, to improve the quality of life in Port Coquitlam, or
- they have been voluntarily involved in a program or project that has had a lasting benefit for Port Coquitlam and its residents.
How to make a nomination count:
- Take the time to coordinate supporting materials to add to the details on the nomination form. The online nomination form includes ideas about what to include.
- The awards are intended for individuals – nominations for couples or groups will not be considered.
- Visit the Volunteer Recognition Awards page at www.portcoquitlam.ca/volunteerawards for more information and the online nomination form.
Manager, Communications and Administrative Services
City of Port Coquitlam