Renew Dog Licences By Feb. 1 For Discounted Rates
Port Coquitlam dog owners have until Feb. 1 to get a $15 discount on their dog’s 2023 licence.
Dog licences are required for all dogs age six months and up in Port Coquitlam, with fees helping to pay for services such as sheltering and adoption of strays, and bylaw enforcement related to dogs at large, dog bites, excessive barking, aggressive dogs, and dog waste in public spaces.
Before or on Feb. 1, 2023 licences cost $32 if the dogs are spayed or neutered pets ($80 if the dog is unspayed or unneutered).
How to get a new dog licence:
- Visit portcoquitlam.ca/doglicence to complete an online application form. A staff member will review the form and contact you for payment. Please note discount will be applied until end of day Feb. 1.
- Visit Port Coquitlam City Hall at 2580 Shaughnessy St. to apply in person and to pay by credit card, cheque or debit.
How to renew a dog licence:
- Visit portcoquitlam.ca/doglicence to renew an existing licence online by credit card.
- Drop by City Hall, 2580 Shaughnessy St., to renew and pay by credit card, cheque or debit.
- Use the secure 24-hour drop box at the main entrance at City Hall with the renewal form and cheque (no cash)
- Pay through your bank. To add the City as a payee, search for Port Coquitlam and select Dogs. Some banks will require the numbers 103 in front of the account number. Please note, the payment must arrive at the City by Feb. 1 to qualify for the discount, and banks may take several business days to process online payments.
Enter to Win a Free Dog Licence
From now until Jan. 30, residents can share a photo of their furry friend with the City on social media for a chance to win 1 of 3 dog licenses.
Dog owners can share photos of their dogs via the City’s social media channel:
- Through Instagram or Twitter using the hashtag #pocodoggo and tagging @cityofpoco; OR
- On the City of Port Coquitlam’s Facebook page by uploading a photo of their dog in the comments section on any post related to the #pocodoggo photo contest.
Try These Spots to Take Your Dog Off-leash
Port Coquitlam offers dog owners a variety of designated off-leash spaces.
The two fenced options are the Downtown Off-Leash Dog Area on Maple Street and Bury Avenue, and the larger Shaughnessy Park Off-leash Dog Area in the 3300-block of Shaughnessy Street across from Chester Place. Both can be accessed from the Traboulay PoCo Trail.
The City also offers three unfenced off-leash areas at Chelsea Park (1277 Chelsea Ave.), Skyline Park (1300-block Eastern and Western Drives) and Castle Park (2500-block Palisade Cres.).
For information, visit portcoquitlam.ca/dogpark.
Animal Shelter Services
Port Coquitlam animal shelter services are provided at Coquitlam Animal Shelter, a municipally-operated shelter at 500 Mariner Way that also serves Coquitlam and Port Moody.
Through this service, Port Coquitlam residents looking to adopt or be reunited with a pet have access to a large facility with visiting hours and trained staff.
The shelter has heated kennel floors, skylights, a dog playground, outdoor and indoor cat play areas, and a Pet Pantry service that provides donated pet food and supplies to owners who are struggling financially.
More information about the service can be found at portcoquitlam.ca/animalshelter.
Manager of Communications & Administrative Services
City of Port Coquitlam