Royal Party and Community Maypole Dancers Sought for Port Coquitlam May Days
The City is looking for enthusiastic children and youth to join in the celebration of Port Coquitlam’s 99th annual May Days.
Port Coquitlam children and youth are invited to apply to be part of the traditional May Days Royal Party and Maypole Dances – applications will be accepted until Feb.15.
This year the Maypole Dances will be offered through a new Community Maypole Dance Program at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre. Children in grades 3 to 5, who live in Port Coquitlam, can register beginning Feb. 1 online at portcoquitlam.ca/register (activity #64840). Space is limited to 24 participants. The Community Maypole Dance will be performed during the May Days Opening Ceremonies on April 29, 2022.
Selected through a random draw, the May Day Royal Party consists of Flower Girls and Junior Lancers from Grades 1 and 2, and Princesses and Lancers from Grades 4 and 5.
Royal Party duties include participating in:
- Hip hop dance practices – Tuesdays beginning Feb. 22 (once per week) and then twice per week after spring break, Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning Mar. 29. Flower Girls and Junior Lancers will practice from 4:00 to 4:40 p.m. and Princesses and Lancers from 4:45 to 5:30 p.m. at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre (No rehearsals during spring break).
- May Day Selection Tea – Mar. 28 from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m.
- Dress Rehearsal – Apr. 29 from 12:00 to 2:00 p.m.
- May Day Banquet and Opening Ceremonies – April 29 from 5:30 to 9:00 p.m.
- May Day Parade with the City float, followed by the May Day Luncheon – May 7, 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The tradition of May Day royalty in Port Coquitlam dates back to 1923, when the City crowned its first May Queen and began celebrating May Days each year.
May Days, Port Coquitlam’s annual spring festival, has grown into a week-long community celebration that includes the Rotary May Day Parade, outdoor concerts, heritage and art events, displays and other activities. This year’s festival runs from April 29 to May 7, 2022.
For more information or to apply online, visit portcoquitlam.ca/maydays. The application deadline is Feb. 15, 2022.
For more information, contact Special Events at email@example.com.
Manager of Communications & Administrative Services
City of Port Coquitlam