Royal Party and Maypole Dancers Sought For Port Coquitlam’s Celebration of 100th May Days
The City is looking for enthusiastic children and youth to join in the centennial celebration of Port Coquitlam’s official 100th annual May Days.
Port Coquitlam children and youth are invited to take part in this year’s May Day celebrations as either a royal party member or as a part of a Port Coquitlam school’s maypole dance team.
Apply for Royal Party
Selected through a random draw, the May Days Royal Party consists of flower girls and junior lancers from Grades 1 and 2, and princesses and lancers from Grades 4 and 5.
Online applications are being accepted to be part of this exciting traditional May Days Royal Party at portcoquitlam.ca/maydays until Jan. 20.
Royal party duties include participating in:
- Hip hop dance practices – Wednesdays and Fridays beginning Feb. 1. Flower girls and junior lancers will practice from 4:00 to 4:40 p.m. and princesses and lancers from 4:45 to 5:30 p.m. at the Port Coquitlam Community Centre (No rehearsals during spring break).
- May Day selection tea – Mar. 6 from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m.
- Dress rehearsal – May 5 from 12:00 to 2:00 p.m.
- May Day banquet and performing the hip hop dances at the opening ceremonies – May 5 from 5:30 to 9:00 p.m.
- May Day parade with the City float, followed by the May Day luncheon – May 13, 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
School Maypole Dances
Participating Port Coquitlam elementary schools will be performing the maypole dances during the May Days opening ceremony on May 5, 2023. Children in grades 3 to 5, who live in Port Coquitlam, may join their school’s maypole team to learn the maypole dances. Maypole practices will take place at the schools. For more information, please check with the school.
For more information, contact Special Events at firstname.lastname@example.org or to apply online, visit portcoquitlam.ca/maydays. The application deadline is Jan. 20, 2023.
The tradition of May Day royalty in Port Coquitlam dates back to 1923, when the City crowned its first May Queen and began celebrating May Days each year.
May Days, Port Coquitlam’s annual spring festival, has grown into a week-long community celebration that includes the Rotary May Day Parade, outdoor festival; visual, performing and literary art events; displays and other activities. This year’s 100th annual May Day’s festival runs from May 5 to 13, 2023.
Information regarding May Days festivities will be shared in the weeks to come.