Royal Party Sought For Port Coquitlam May Days
Port Coquitlam children and youth are invited to apply to be part of the traditional May Day Royal Party by February 1.
Selected through a random draw, the May Day Royal Party consists of Flower Girls from Grades 1 and 2, and Princesses and Lancers (similar to a knight) from Grades 4 and 5.
Royal Party duties include participating in:
- Hip hop dance practices on Wednesdays – starting Feb.6. Flower Girls will practice from 4-4:40 pm and Princesses and Lancers from 4:40-5:30 pm at the Port Coquitlam Rec Complex (except during spring break).
- May Day Selection Tea – April 15, 7-9 pm (random selection of the May Queen and Ambassador will take place as this event)
- Dress Rehearsal – Friday May 3, 12-2 pm.
- May Day Banquet and Opening Ceremonies – May 3, 5:30 to 9 pm.
- May Day Parade with the City float, followed by the May Day Luncheon – May 11, 10:30 am to 1 pm.
The tradition of May Day royalty in Port Coquitlam dates back to 1923, when the City crowned its first May Queen and began celebrating May Days each year.
May Days, Port Coquitlam’s annual spring festival, has grown into a week-long community celebration that includes the Rotary May Day Parade, outdoor concerts, heritage and art events, displays and other activities. This year’s festival runs from May 3 to May 11.
For more information or to apply online, visit www.portcoquitlam.ca/mayday. Printed applications are also available at City facilities. The application deadline is February 1.
For more information, contact Cierra Popove at email@example.com.
Event Producer – Community & Civic Events
City of Port Coquitlam, Department of Recreation