Show Some Love to PoCo Volunteers – Nominate by Mar. 5
Port Coquitlam residents are being asked to show some love to local volunteers with a nomination for a 2019 Volunteer Recognition Award by Mar. 5.
Volunteers: The Heart of PoCo is this year’s theme for the City of Port Coquitlam’s annual volunteer award program. Launched in 1997, the program recognizes and encourages Port Coquitlam’s outstanding volunteers.
“Volunteers provide crucial programs and services while helping to create the PoCo Pride and spirit that makes our city unique,” Mayor Brad West said. “They are truly the heart of our community and deserve our gratitude and recognition. Show our volunteers some love this year and nominate them for an award by Mar. 5.”
Nominations can be made at www.portcoquitlam.ca/volunteerawards until Mar. 5 in one of seven categories: Arts, Heritage & Cultural Awareness; Caring & Safety; Environmental Protection & Enhancement; Sports & Recreation; Youth Programs; U21 (youth under age 21); and Lifetime Volunteer.
All eligible nominees get special treatment from the city – whether or not they win an award.
Award nominees receive a commemorative pin and two tickets to the annual Volunteer Recognition Awards and Tribute event – an invitation-only night of fun, food and entertainment held during National Volunteer Week in April and sponsored by FortisBC.
Award recipients also receive a personalized etched glass award and have their names added to the volunteer honour roll at City Hall.
“As the 2017 recipient of the Caring & Safety award, I can tell you first-hand how much it means to a volunteer to be recognized for your long hours and sacrifice,” said Cllr. Nancy McCurrach, the Council designate for arts, culture and heritage issues. “Volunteers do what they do out of love for their community, period – but feeling appreciated definitely gives you that extra boost to continue to give 100 per cent.”
The Port Coquitlam Volunteer Recognition Awards have honoured 130 recipients and hundreds more nominees since 1997. The 2019 awards are again sponsored by FortisBC, which has supported the awards for 21 years.
Nominees can be any age and do not have to live in Port Coquitlam. They cannot have previously received a Port Coquitlam Volunteer Recognition Award (see website for past recipients) unless being nominated in the Lifetime category, and must meet at least one of these criteria:
- their unpaid volunteer contributions provide extraordinary help or care to families or groups in Port Coquitlam,
- they continually commit their time, talent and energy, without pay, to improve the quality of life in Port Coquitlam, or
- they have been voluntarily involved in a program or project that has had a lasting benefit for Port Coquitlam and its residents.
How to make a nomination count:
- Don’t leave out details you think are obvious. Assume the selection panel does not know the nominee. Do the homework needed to submit a complete nomination.
- Coordinate supporting materials, such as letters of support, awards, newspaper clippings. The online nomination form includes ideas about what to include.
- Don’t nominate couples – the awards are for individuals only. You can nominate both partners individually but include their personal contributions only.
Visit www.portcoquitlam.ca/volunteerawards for more information and the online nomination form. Nominations close Mar. 5. Questions may be directed to 604.927.5410 or email@example.com.
– 30 –
Manager of Communications & Admin Services
City of Port Coquitlam
Tel 604.927.5335 Cel 604.218.0533