Use Caution During Heavy Rainfall Warning
The public is advised to use caution along the Fraser and Coquitlam River and other watercourses as the BC River Forecast Centre has issued a High Streamflow Advisory and BC Hydro is undertaking a controlled water spill of the Coquitlam dam.
The City of Port Coquitlam is monitoring the weather forecasts and river levels and proactively taking steps to prepare for the safety of residents and businesses. The City’s response plan includes:
- Patrolling, inspecting and maintaining dikes and pump stations including deploying additional pumps and lowering settings as required.
- Clearing catch basins and drainage intakes in critical and known problem areas to ensure they are in good condition.
- Having additional crews and equipment on standby and ready to respond to emerging situations.
The public is advised to take the following safety measures:
- Avoid river and creek banks that may be unstable due to higher than normal water volumes.
- Take caution in parks and trails and watch for falling trees or branches.
- Clear debris from catch basins near your property to avoid localized flooding. Locate catch basins at portcoquitlam.ca/catchbasins.
- Watch out for pooling water while walking and drive to the conditions.
- Do not move or drive around barricades on roads as they are there for public safety. Follow posted signage.
- Report fallen trees, dangerous debris or any other problems to portcoquitlam.ca/report or call 604-927-3111.
- Monitor city website latest notices for sports fields, parks and trail closures at portcoquitlam.ca/sportsfields.
Follow the City’s social media channels for latest notices. A variety of extreme weather resources are available at portcoquitlam.ca/weather and at City facilities. General emergency preparedness resources, including information about free courses, can be found at www.portcoquitlam.ca/ep.
Residents and businesses are encouraged to develop an emergency preparedness plan to prepare for a potential event.
Manager of Communications & Admin Services
City of Port Coquitlam
Tel 604.927.5335 Cel 604.218.0533