View City of Port Coquitlam 2017 Annual Report Online
Port Coquitlam residents who want to learn more about their city’s activities and finances are invited to view the latest annual report, now available online.
Entitled Building our Community, the report reflects on the record $219 million in building permit values in 2017 and the long-term planning activities undertaken to build a more livable and prosperous community. There were signs of construction throughout the community in 2017, including Blakeburn Lagoons Park and the ground-breaking on the new Community Recreation Complex.
A statutory document, the annual report will be considered by Council at the June 26 Council meeting. The report is also now available for public review at www.portcoquitlam.ca/annualreport.
For twelve consecutive years, Port Coquitlam’s comprehensive, easy-to-read annual reports have won awards from the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) of the United States and Canada. The 2017 report will be submitted to the GFOA for consideration for the Canadian Financial Reporting Award.
Highlights of 2017 featured in the report include:
- Began construction of the new Community Recreation Complex including construction fencing, demolition of part of Wilson Centre and soil preparation work.
- Upgraded a 1.1 km stretch of Pitt River Road and McLean Avenue.
- Improved active transportation with bike lanes, sidewalks and 25 new bike racks.
- Expanded and upgraded the Sun Valley Spray Park.
- Held a successful year two of PoCo Grand Prix event featuring sport, family and entertainment and attracting more than 7500 spectators.
- Celebrated Canada’s 150th birthday with a day-long arts, music and nature festival attracting 9000 people and worked with the community to paint a mural mosaic consisting of 600 tiles.
- Completed research and recommendations identifying opportunities to further develop the potential of the downtown.
- Introduced a two-year budget cycle in 2017.
- Updated the City website with a new modern look, improved navigation and security and more mobile friendly.
- Won a Community Excellence Award from the Union of BC Municipalities for work helping the community and local businesses plan ahead to recover after a major disaster.
Those who wish to convey concerns, comments or questions to Council concerning the Annual Report are asked to provide them before 4:30 p.m. Friday, June 22 by fax (604.927.5401) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Questions may be directed to Karen Grommada, Director of Finance, at 604.927.5305 or email@example.com.
Manager of Communications & Admin Services
City of Port Coquitlam
T: 604.927.5335 C: 604.218.0533