Volunteers Make A World of Difference — Nominate By Mar. 31
PORT COQUITLAM, BC – March 9, 2022… The 2022 Volunteer Recognition Awards are back and Port Coquitlam residents are being asked to share which local volunteers make a world of difference with a nomination by Mar. 31.
Volunteers make a world of difference is this year’s theme for the City of Port Coquitlam’s annual volunteer award program. Launched in 1997, the program recognizes and encourages Port Coquitlam’s outstanding volunteers.
“I am thrilled to announce that the City is bringing back the volunteer recognition awards. The past two years, our community has faced challenges, and this awards night provides a great opportunity for us to celebrate our volunteers across our community who have been a beacon of selflessness and optimism in the midst of a global pandemic.” Mayor Brad West said. “Whether they were able to continue to volunteer in person, or if they made the shift to working virtually, all of our volunteers deserve to be recognized for their exceptional show of solidarity and their commitment. Let’s show our volunteers who make a world of difference in our community by nominating them for an award by Mar. 31.”
Nominations can be made at portcoquitlam.ca/volunteerawards until Mar. 31 in one of three categories: Port Coquitlam Volunteer of the Year (Arts, Heritage & Cultural Awareness; Caring & Safety; Environmental Protection & Enhancement; Sports & Recreation; Youth Programs); Future Leader, Youth Volunteer of the Year (U25 youth under age 25); and Lifetime Volunteer.
All eligible nominees get special treatment from the city – whether or not they win an award.
Award nominees receive a commemorative pin and two tickets to the annual Volunteer Recognition Awards and Tribute event – an invitation-only night of fun, food and entertainment held in time for the National Volunteer Week in April and sponsored by FortisBC.
Award recipients also receive a personalized etched glass award and have their names added to the volunteer honour roll at City Hall.
“We are extremely fortunate to have so many dedicated volunteers whose community spirit and dedication have been especially appreciated and essential for so many of us,” said Cllr. Nancy McCurrach, the Council designate for arts, culture and heritage issues. “Awards like these mean a lot to so many volunteers of the community, whether it be with an organization, or routinely take time out of their day to assist their neighbours, we want to recognize them.”
The Port Coquitlam Volunteer Recognition Awards have honoured 130 recipients and hundreds more nominees since 1997. The 2022 awards are once again being sponsored by FortisBC, which has supported the awards for 23 years.
Nominees can be any age and do not have to live in Port Coquitlam. They cannot have previously received a Port Coquitlam Volunteer Recognition Award (see website for past recipients) unless being nominated in the Lifetime category, and must meet at least one of these criteria:
- their unpaid volunteer contributions provide extraordinary help or care to families or groups in Port Coquitlam,
- they continually commit their time, talent and energy, without pay, to improve the quality of life in Port Coquitlam, or
- they have been voluntarily involved in a program or project that has had a lasting benefit for Port Coquitlam and its residents.
How to make a nomination count:
- Don’t leave out details you think are obvious. Assume the selection panel does not know the nominee. Do the homework needed to submit a complete nomination.
- Coordinate supporting materials, such as letters of support, awards, newspaper clippings. The online nomination form includes ideas about what to include.
- Don’t nominate couples – the awards are for individuals only. You can nominate both partners individually but include their personal contributions only.
Visit portcoquitlam.ca/volunteerawards for more information and the online nomination form. Nominations close Mar. 31. Questions may be directed to 604.927.5410 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Manager of Communications & Administrative Services
City of Port Coquitlam