Recreation contributes to the quality of life and personal wellness of the community by providing a variety of programs, services and facilities. It also oversees the Terry Fox Library.
The Department includes three Divisions: Community Services, Recreation and Facility Services. Community services provides overall support on department-wide functions and planning and coordination of department resources, including business planning and budgets.
Recreation Services Division
- Operates Hyde Creek Recreation Centre, Leigh Square Community Arts Village, Port Coquitlam Recreation Complex, Wilson Centre, Terry Fox Library, outdoor and learner pools, outdoor gym and youth skate/bike parks.
- Provides programming in aquatics, skating, sports and fitness, active living, arts and culture, and general programming for children, youth, adults and seniors of all abilities.
- Coordinates volunteer program and civic events.
- Supports Emergency Social Services.
- Manages leasehold contracts (e.g. physiotherapy, retail, massage therapy and food services).
- Administers facility/parks bookings and cash management.
Facility Services Division
- Responsible for the City’s Facilities Life Cycle and Energy Management programs, the Department’s Asset Management Program, and providing support to other departments to assist in the operation and repair of their facilities.
- Coordinates designated renovation and construction projects.
Parks, Recreation & Culture Plan
The Parks, Recreation and Culture Plan is a comprehensive master plan for the provision of parks, recreation and cultural facilities and services.
Last updated in 2007, the 10-year plan guides the City in allocating human and fiscal resources to most effectively meet community needs with respect to:
- the development of facilities (parks, open green spaces, athletic fields, recreation and culture facilities, arenas, sport courts, cemetery and the Terry Fox Library, etc.), and
- the delivery of parks, recreation and culture services for the community.