Port Coquitlam has more than 50 parks along with dozens of kilometres of trails and roadways. While the City manages and maintains these areas, we need your help to keep them as clean, safe and beautiful as possible for all members of the community to enjoy.
Adopt-a-SPOT (street, park or trail) encourages local volunteers to show their PoCo Pride and take ownership of our local public spaces by removing litter and assisting with tasks such as weeding, watering and graffiti removal for a designated period of time. Training, support and supplies are provided.
Sign up on your own, with friends or family, or with a group!
How to Sign Up
All volunteers – including individuals, families, groups, business, schools and clubs- must successfully complete the following application process:
- An online application form (link below).
- A criminal record search (individual or designated contact person for each group).
- A sharps safety training quiz.
- A Statement of Commitment and Release and Waiver Form.
- A signed parental consent form if under the age of 19.
Volunteers should enjoy the outdoors and must be:
- Physically able to perform the required tasks,
- Reliable and safety conscious,
- Able to work independently and in groups, and
- Accompanied by an adult if under age 19.
- Adopt a spot for at least one year.
- Designate a contact person, who will: serve as the liaison with the City, fill out and submit an activity log once per month, and complete forms as needed (e.g. reporting graffiti and vandalism, dumping activity, suspicious events and injuries).
- Visit your spot at least twice per month, keeping it clear of litter. Leave collected litter at the nearest City trash can (or call Program Coordinator for pickup if none nearby).
- Clear pathways of branches, rocks and other natural debris, and dispose of in nearby bush.
- Remove graffiti from signs and lexan (plastic) surfaces.
- Assist when possible with other tasks, e.g. weeding and watering, when requested.
- Report all hazards to the City, e.g. erosion, sinkholes, missing or damaged signs, dangerous or fallen trees, or damaged bridges and benches.
City Support and Training
The City will:
- Assist volunteers with choosing a spot to adopt.
- Supply gloves, litter pickers, garbage bags, vests, a sharps (needle) container, dog waste bags, graffiti remover and rags.
- Remove collected litter from the sites.
- Provide volunteers with an orientation and training in litter pickup, sharps handling and graffiti removal.
Here are some of the reasons to sign up as an Adopt-a-SPOT volunteer:
- Enjoy living in a cleaner, safer and more beautiful community.
- Have a positive impact on the environment.
- Gain a sense of satisfaction from giving back to your community.
- Get some exercise.
- Enjoy Port Coquitlam’s outdoor spaces.
- Obtain hours towards the student volunteer requirement.
Adopt-a-SPOT volunteers will be recognized with a sign at each end of their spot for at least one year. The City will also recognize these volunteers as part of the National Volunteer Week celebrations that take place each April.
Volunteer Services Coordinator